Talk

Advanced search

Getting to airport logistics

(14 Posts)
TheBightyMoosh Tue 09-Jun-09 12:41:57

We're going on holiday and catching a really early flight out. Which means that we have to get to the airport at 4.30 am, and we have to leave the house at 3.30 shock

We've decided to take a taxi to the airport as it's too early for the tubes, and too early for any of our friends / family to give us a lift. And it's going to be too complicated to stay in a hotel the night before due to DP's working arrangements at the moment.

But here lies the problem - we're taking DD (16 months) - now, I know you don't need a baby car seat in a licensed taxi but I'm not sure I feel comfortable taking DD on my lap for such a long journey. We've got our own car seat, but what would we do with it once we're at the airport? I really can't see any other way round it. Please wise MNers - what would you do?

LittleWonder Tue 09-Jun-09 12:43:31

Ask taxi company if they can hold on to car seat for you and collect you from airport on your return.

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 09-Jun-09 14:00:57

We did exactly what Little Wonder suggests - taxi driver took our car seat back to their office and they brought it to pick us up on our return.

Alternatively, certain seats can be taken on the plane if they meet some regulation and can affix with a lap belt. We took our Britax on flights with us until DD outgrew it and then used it whilst on holiday as well.

muddleduck Wed 10-Jun-09 12:25:20

might you need the seat while you are on holiday?
It doesn't cost that much to take it with you (in the hold). We did this for both our dcs last month and it was no hassle at all.

Tee2072 Wed 10-Jun-09 12:32:06

If DD has her own seat on plane, you will need the car seat on the plane.

toobusytothink Wed 10-Jun-09 12:35:38

Really Tee??? Do you need to take a car seat with you for the plane? We have 2 and 3 yr olds and flying next month. Sorry for detour from original post.

Tee2072 Wed 10-Jun-09 12:46:41

I am 99.999% sure that if your child needs a car seat in a car, it needs a car seat in a plane.

But I would check with whatever airline you are flying to be sure.

muddleduck Wed 10-Jun-09 12:57:28

TooBusy.
No airline that we have ever used would need you to take a car seat for 2/3 year olds. IME these are only required for under 2s where they have their own seat rather than being on an adults lap.

runawayquickly Wed 10-Jun-09 13:00:22

Which means you are choosing to pay for an extra seat for an under-two year old, who will then winge until they sit on your lap anyway. hmm

Hassled Wed 10-Jun-09 13:01:16

We've taken booster seats as hand luggage for younger DCs before - only because we were hiring a car at the other end. DCs used them on the plane (although no requirement whatsoever).

For the OP - yes, ask the taxi firm to hang on to the seat if you don't need it on holiday. Or use the left luggage/locker things at the airport. Otherwise it can be hand luggage or go in the hold.

lou33 Wed 10-Jun-09 13:03:46

the taxi firm i used stored the car seat for me

sb6699 Wed 10-Jun-09 13:04:34

Lots of taxi firms keep child seats in their offices. Can you ring and ask your company if they have them.

peanutbutterkid Wed 10-Jun-09 14:48:42

You could pay the taxi driver to take it to a friend's house for you; friend to hold onto the seat until you get back.

TheBightyMoosh Wed 10-Jun-09 21:16:37

Thanks all for fab advice! We eventually found a cab company that actually had their own car seats. Phew!

Right, must get some sleep - taxi picking us up at 3.30am!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now