Talk

Advanced search

Car seat arrangements.....

(25 Posts)
FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 21:44:51

I need to get an 11 week old baby, two (tall) four year olds and my friend into my car - plus me (the driver so I don't count)

The airbag in the front passenger seat doesn't switch off as it's a fairly old car.

I can get two child seats and a booster (without back) on the back seat.

The middle seat only has a lap belt.

I know it's very dangerous to put a child in the front passenger seat with an airbag but is it equally as dangerous to put a child in the middle of the back seat with only a lap belt?

crokky Wed 03-Jun-09 21:47:29

I would not put a 4yo child into the front seat with an airbag and I would also not secure a 4yo in the back with just a lap belt. Both are extremely dangerous.

2shoes Wed 03-Jun-09 21:47:29

I wouldn't try and fit them all in tbh< I think lap belt are dangerous, and a baby and an air bag don't mix.

thisisyesterday Wed 03-Jun-09 21:50:47

if your child seat is ok to be fitted with a lapbelt only then i would do that, and have the booster seat on one side so that the child had a proper seatbelt.
but if you HAVE to have the booster in the middle to fit them in then i might be inclined to put that in the front, with the seat as far back as humanly possible and the adult in the middle

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 22:10:14

I was hoping one would be safer than the other sad.
It's going to take about an hour to get to where we want to be - up the M25. My friend doesn't drive.

I've no idea if any of the seats are ok to be fitted with a lap belt only.
They are all Maxi Cosi seats. I have two toddler sized maxi-cosi's and the baby maxi cosi. I'm pretty sure the baby seat can't be used with a lap belt.

CarGirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:12:02

maxi cosi stage 1 may well be lap belt adjustable.

Or maxi cosi toddler seat in front seat with the seat pushed back as far as it will go.

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 22:29:40

So is it better to put toddler seat in front with seat really far back than to have booster in the middle?

Maybe I'll check out the Maxi Cosi website - see what they say......

CarGirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:32:26

A booster in the front seat with it all the way back would be better than a toddler seat because their face will be further away from the air bag when inflated.

Didn't realise one could go on a booster.

Booster & lap belt - no way.

Check website to see if the toddler seat can be fixed with a lap belt only on your car.

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 22:33:41

Maxi Cosi safety views It says children from age 3 must be transported in back seat rather than in front with airbag?

CarGirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:36:48

Your car isn't suitable for doing what you want to do so the real alternative is not to go!

If you are too close to an air bag then it can either hit you whilst it is inflating (instead of deflating) so could seriously injure your face or there is the risk of suffocating.

Tough call

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 22:40:53

sad I hate my car sadsad

thisisyesterday Wed 03-Jun-09 22:46:31

what car do you have?

i think if you can fit it so that the booster seat is on one side (at the back) and the 2 child seats are next to each other you;'ll be ok surely?
but you'd need to check that the child seat (not an infant carrier one) is ok to be fitted with the lap belt

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 22:55:47

How can you find out if the child seat is ok to be fitted with a lap belt?

My car is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. (DP's choice, I hate it btw!). It's about 10 years old

CarGirl Wed 03-Jun-09 22:57:12

which maxi cosi is it? I think there is a fitting guide on their website

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 23:03:59

I think they are priory xp. I cant find the fitting guide though, will keep looking....

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 23:08:57

I think I'm going to have to leave my baby behind with DP. It's not worth the risk.

Shame really because the friend we're seeing wanted to meet him sad

FruitynNutty Wed 03-Jun-09 23:09:31

Thank you so much for all your help and ideas

smile

maxybrown Fri 05-Jun-09 11:25:39

Did you sort it? For future reference, the Britax First Class can be fitted with a lap belt. hth? Also, after seeing the damage an air bag did to my DH's arm after an accident when DS was 4 weeks old (urgh, horrid) there is no way I would want to put a child near one. I know they stop other things etc but they can cause quite a bit of damage themselves. Dh's arm was a mess, can't imagine what it would do to baby skin sad

FruitynNutty Fri 05-Jun-09 12:00:16

Thanks maxybrown. My friend says she's happy for her DS to be on a booster with just lap belt but I'm not sure I like the sound of that (still on my conscience if anything happens) I'm just going to leave baby behind with DP. That way both boys get a safe and comfy seat smile

dobby2001 Fri 05-Jun-09 12:07:40

lap belts can do real damage to the spin and kidneys hence why they are not in new cars. the Maxi Cosi Priori that I had with DD could be used with a lap belt, but i am going back 3 or 4 years.
I was advised by car safety person at local council that it is safe for older children on boosters (i have all high back ones though) to sit in front seat with air bag as long as seat is pushed all the way back.

hth

DebiTheScot Fri 05-Jun-09 12:14:36

I'd put 4yr old in front on booster (with back) with the other 4 yr old behind so you could push seat back as far as possible. I'm guessing being a big car it'd go quite far back.

modmum Fri 05-Jun-09 12:26:23

Try the ROSPA site to see what they recommend for emergencies

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/carrying_safely/index.htm

Metatron Fri 05-Jun-09 12:33:31

TBH I would have the mum in the lapbelt. Baby and i 4 year old in the back and the other one in the front pushed right back.

FruitynNutty Fri 05-Jun-09 13:47:13

Thanks everyone!
modmum, it's not an emergency. I can leave baby at home with DP. Just a shame really as wanted to bring him along too.
I'll talk to my friend. She's very laid back about it all. I just get worried as we'll be on the M25 for most of the journey.

If my friend insists then I'll suggest putting her DS in the front with seat right back.

Still prefer not to, but I suppose it's up to her hmm

CherryChoc Mon 08-Jun-09 16:57:29

Could you go on the train? Children under 5 travel free I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now