Talk

Advanced search

...if you 'accidently' spent £102 at the Laura Mercier counter?

(34 Posts)
JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:18:49

OK, not quite accidentally, but I have never bought makeup before and wanted something to cover up some red patches.

I let the assistant try some things out on me - and it does look amazing - and was a bit swept up in it all and spent £102.

DH is going to be furious and I feel totally guilty now. We can't really afford it. I haven't opened anything - should I take it back?

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 14:19:41

nah, just hide it

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 02-Jun-09 14:19:53

Email to tell him now and ask if he wants you to return it? He migt say nom have a treat grin

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Tue 02-Jun-09 14:20:22

If you really can't afford it, then I would take it back.

AnnieShamrockInYourEar Tue 02-Jun-09 14:21:02

If you've never ever bought make up before, then consider it a lifetime supply. Bargain!

fruitstick Tue 02-Jun-09 14:22:11

I love Laura Mercier but have to be careful. Did they convince you that you can't live without foundation primer?

fondant4000 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:22:33

I accidentally spent £8.50 at a posh baker's the other day blush.

How big is the pot? How long will it last? If you can get more than 3 months out of it I'd say keep it smile

LaurieFairyCake Tue 02-Jun-09 14:23:49

I'm not sure they will take make-up back though hmm

if they won't then just enjoy it smile

shinyshoes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:24:47

I don't think you can take back make up can you.

I thought it was a Elf and Safety Ishoo. Opened or unopened.

If you really can't afford it try taking it back. Or is it you can afford it but don't like spending that much on yourself. Would it really cripple things if you did decide to keep it?

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:28:09

fruitstick - they DID convince me of that. Are they lying??

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:29:07

shinyshoes - not even unopened? Oh dear. Didn't think about the elves and their safety...

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:30:52

shinyshoes - it would just be another £102 on top of the debt we already have. DH manages it well, but he'd rather not have it. And you're right - I don't like spending that on myself. My immediat thought - what have DH and DD had recently that cost that much. Answer: nothing. That's when the guilt poured in!

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:32:53

fondant4000 - I'm sure the cleanser will last ages. And the primer (if I keep that - if it turns out they lied about how much I needed it I'm taking that puppy back). It's the camouflage stuff I don't know about - anyone know how long that is likely to last?

fruitstick Tue 02-Jun-09 14:34:40

It is lovely (especially if you keep it in the fridge in the summer) but I had to give it up when I went on 1st mat leave sad.

Their tinted moisturiser is superb, as is their foundation. In fact for basics they are fab. I tend to not spend much on blusher/eyeshadow etc as you can't feel the quality quite so much,

I'd keep it unless it's your weekly food bill gone up in smoke.

fruitstick Tue 02-Jun-09 14:36:24

If you are in debt then try to take it back. [blue]. If you want to keep something the keep the camouflage if it does what you need it to do.

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:42:01

I could do the food shopping at aldi this week....oh that would make me feel guilty. I'll try and guage DH's mood and compromise by taking the primer and cleanser back if they'll have it.

fondant - what did you get for £8.50? And was it worth it?? grin

FabulousBakerGirl Tue 02-Jun-09 14:42:43

Think about it, when was the last time you spent anything on yourself and when will you next?

fondant4000 Tue 02-Jun-09 14:46:35

No! Definitely not worth it. A loaf of bread, 2 croissants (which were chuffy) 2 cakes (which the dds chose and hated), and 6 soft rolls which were too bready angry

Ok, ok call me picky. But honestly it was not as good as my local bakers, just because it was in a posh part of town they can charge the earth.

It would have been better spent on your purchase JFMM. Your plan sounds like a good one BTW. smile

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:52:21

OK - last time I spent on myself (and I assume big stuff, rather than a latte) was at Easter when I stocked up on clothes in the US.

Next time - ...??? who knows. If I keep the make-up, probably at least 6 months as I won't feel I deserve it after that! Hmmm...I can see your point.

fondant - was it a chain of posh bakers or just an independent in a posh part of town? Just wondering so I can avoid - feel free to name and shame! smile

By the way, this make up smells lovely...I don't know what's in it, but I'm hooked on the smell. Must be something food-y as I haven't felt the need for my afternoon chocolate...

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 14:55:44

fruitstick - did it all go wrong when you gave up the primer? The assistant made it sound like without it my skin would just suck up everything else if it got thirsty. I have noted that you are still alive without it, and that is a good sign. wink

fruitstick Tue 02-Jun-09 15:00:17

Well it was touch and go for a while but yes, 3 years later I still do have some skin on my face and it has yet to slide off with my foundation.

In fact, given that I'm now on my second mat leave and on the bones of our arse I would LOVE all the money back I ever spent on foundation primer.

TAKE IT BACK TAKE IT BACK

JustFiveMoreMinutes Tue 02-Jun-09 19:20:29

That's it - it's all going back. Fruitstick, you clinched it for me.

Assuming they take it - if they don't I'll be selling it on the streetcorner.

Oooh - I could treat myself to something nice from a posh baker maybe! wink

Millions of thanks - I love the WWYD section!

whoopsididitagain Tue 02-Jun-09 19:28:59

i spent 245 in mac two weeks ago

i only went in for highlighter lol

i love maake up its fab the more it costs the less you need the cost goes down so it evens out over time

cornsilk Tue 02-Jun-09 19:36:03

The primer is fab. Keep it and buy food at Aldi for a few weeks.

ilovemydogandmrobama Tue 02-Jun-09 19:37:49

ebay smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now