Talk

Advanced search

If you could go back & tell the teen-of-you

(114 Posts)
loveisland Sat 11-Aug-18 20:25:33

If you could go back and tell the teenage you some life lessons you have now learned the hard way what would you say?
I wish I could go and shake the teenage me and say "that older boy is abusing you, please run a mile"

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 11-Aug-18 20:29:28

I would tell myself to ignore the "careers advice" I was given, and go for it.

SmellMyBeads Sat 11-Aug-18 20:29:55

Take chances even when you're afraid. It won't be scary forever. Don't let boys treat you like shit, you're worth more than that.

Also. Don't get married so young. Live a little.

loveisland Sat 11-Aug-18 20:34:13

Oh I'm already loving these! All of them seem to apply to my teen years blush

userxx Sat 11-Aug-18 20:37:31

Don't take the good and crazy times for granted, it won't last forever. Have some solid goals, travel the world, don't tie yourself down to one person and embrace change. Be fearless.

emwithme Sat 11-Aug-18 20:44:36

Go. To. University.

ChocChunk Sat 11-Aug-18 20:45:35

Travel. Work hard at school. Have a life with friends. Don’t let your mother hold you back. Travel. Move out of home. Live on your own. Travel. Go to university so you don’t have to as an adult. Have more confidence. Travel. You are very pretty and slim. You can do anything you want to. Travel. Don’t wear baggy white jeans or indeed any 90s fashion. Or perm your hair. Travel. Invest in property with your spare money while it’s cheap. Don’t waste money on old cars. Travel.

Marmite27 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:46:52

You will have children, with out ivf, the doctors we’re wrong.

Marmite27 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:47:35

Fucking auto correct. Without and were obviously confused

wizzywig Sat 11-Aug-18 20:48:34

Ignore any negativity. Smile, enjoy the lack of responsibility

butlerswharf Sat 11-Aug-18 20:50:12

I'd tell myself that everything will work out brilliantly.

DonkeyPunch88 Sat 11-Aug-18 20:50:56

Don't have babies quite so young, live a little first. See the world, be kinder to yourself and never let a man make you become dependent on him

PerfectlySymmetricalButtocks Sat 11-Aug-18 20:52:44

I'd say, "You're not weird, you're autistic. They're weird."

MissMarplesKnitting Sat 11-Aug-18 20:54:36

Take the Oxford offer. You'll make the grades....

KatharineHilbery Sat 11-Aug-18 20:56:48

Every minute spent thinking you are ugly is a wasted minute you will never get back.
Loving yourself is more important than seeking validation from others.
Learn who you are and stay true to yourself.
It’s not you, it’s them.
Don’t smoke.

gatorade5000 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:10:38

Don't think about marrying the first guy you had a serious relationship with. Dont even get into that relationship. Don't do things for him. Don't drive him round. Make him earn your love don't give it out so freely.

BrazzleDazzleDay Sat 11-Aug-18 21:38:40

Appreciate those legs, arse and tits!

Don't marry the first man who asks...

AgentCooper Sat 11-Aug-18 21:43:51

Don't worry so much.

Think about what you realistically want to do with your life, the vague arts degree isn't going to be much use.

Do. Not. Start. Smoking.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 11-Aug-18 21:45:11

Don't bother with university. A bit of practical work experience would have been just as valuable as a degree, and you'd have had a better pension built up by now (I can imagine what my teenage self might have thought about pension advice!).

RooDaisy Sat 11-Aug-18 21:49:41

Don't smoke, don't drink so much so young, move away earlier, go to uni and believe that you're a nice person. Don't believe all the horrible shit you were told growing up to it's bullshit! Be more sensible with money.

Fadingmemory Sat 11-Aug-18 21:51:39

Don’t be a teacher. You don’t need a boyfriend. Don’t be needy. Settling down is not all it’s cracked up to be and certainly not at a young age.

lulu12345 Sat 11-Aug-18 21:52:59

Lighten up and have more fun

Get into the habit of exercising regularly

Be nicer

Start a pension asap

Buy a flat when 100% mortgages were being offered to uni students shock

SnuggyBuggy Sat 11-Aug-18 21:55:39

At the risk of sounding a little aggressive, "tell those school bullies to fuck off and die"

Eminybob Sat 11-Aug-18 21:58:50

Work harder at school and go to university

Stay away from Davy B

But then if I had done either of these then I would not have the life an the family I have now, so maybe I wouldn’t.

ginandnappies Sat 11-Aug-18 21:59:13

I'd say "leave the boyfriend who cheats on you ALL the time, even though you've been with him since 14 and he's your comfort blanket"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: