Talk

Advanced search

Friend and medicine administration

(5 Posts)
creamcheeseandlox Sat 11-Aug-18 17:37:39

My ds (6) has impetigo and so has medicine he has to have 4 x a day plus cream x2 a day. The doctor said it's contagious on close skin to skin contact I.e boys wrestling on floor etc. My friend is meant to have my ds and dd on Monday all day whilst I am at work. She also has two dc the same ages. I am unsure weather I should be letting her look after my dc now. Not only because of the Infection but would she/it is unfair of me to give her the responsibility of giving my son the medicine. I will of course call her and discuss it but just wanted to know what other people would do.

SchrodingersMeowth Sat 11-Aug-18 17:39:32

I wouldn’t send him whilst it’s contagious. That seems like the kind of thing that could ruin a friendship.

macdhui Sat 11-Aug-18 17:42:01

I’m sure she could cope with giving the medication but impetigo is super contagious and not worth the risk of spreading the infection to her kids.

chipsandgin Sat 11-Aug-18 17:51:46

Nooo, wildly infectious until you can't see it any more, really hard to get rid of (the meds he has now might just be your first attempt) and some people get it worse than others - a friends ex got it as an adult and it took over half her body and face, she ended up being off work for weeks.

Your son might have it mildly but if she or her kids get it it could be awful - they might be susceptible to getting it badly. It's one of those things you should keep to yourself, behind closed doors and deal with (and be on the case with hygiene too). If I were your friend I would say a massive no to that plan. Just google 'impetigo' images for an idea. The issue of her medicine administration is irrelevant!

lljkk Sat 11-Aug-18 17:58:56

DS had this for 4 weeks, we took no precautions for those weeks, we had no idea, nobody else got it, we were only careful after the diagnosis.

You should talk thru with your friend what she prefers or thinks is reasonable.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: