Advanced search

Car Accident While Stationary- Please help!

(15 Posts)
mollibu Sat 11-Aug-18 16:05:04

Hi all,

Last night while fully parked, a car reversed down a slope and straight into the front of my car at roughly 15 mph and pushed my car back about 5 metres or so.

There is damage to my car and I have whiplash also from the impact. However, the other driver is begging to not go through insurance and I don't know what to do.

I have only been driving a year and a half. If I was to go through his insurance would I lose all of my no claims discount even though I was stationary and fully parked?

Also, i only got his number plate, insurance company, name and number. Would this be enough to go through his insurance with?

Any help would be appreciated as I am completely clueless with this! Thank you in advance.

Coldhandscoldheart Sat 11-Aug-18 16:08:21

Go through insurance. It may push your premium up a bit, but am prepared to bet it’ll be a right old hassle if you don’t.

SlightAggrandising Sat 11-Aug-18 16:08:45


Go through insurance.

Sugarhunnyicedtea Sat 11-Aug-18 16:10:49

Definitely go through insurance. Notify your insurers and they will do the rest. You shouldn't lose your no claims discount as it was a non fault accident

BIWI Sat 11-Aug-18 16:11:02

You need to take his address as well. Did you report it to the police?

Definitely go through insurance.

Tara336 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:11:31

Someone hit my car like this a few years ago. Contact your insurance and advise them and they will arrange the repairs and they will bill the person who hit you. It didn’t affect my insurance at all

Yorkshiremum17 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:12:18

Go through your insurance, you need to tell them exactly what happened and that he was at fault. If you are not completely up front it could affect your chances of getting insurance in the future. My policy states that I have to report any accident I am involved in, even if I have no intention of making a claim within 48 hours of it happening or my insurance could become null and void.

Fairenuff Sat 11-Aug-18 16:13:15

Whiplash is injury and injury accidents have to be reported to the police.

ProudThrilledHappy Sat 11-Aug-18 16:16:37

You will be astonished at how expensive body repair work is. If you dont go through insurance now, it’ll be too late in five weeks when you give him a massive repair bill and he claims you are trying to rip him off and refuses to pay.

TokyoSushi Sat 11-Aug-18 16:18:11

Go through insurance! It will be a right pain in the arse if you don't!

Penfold007 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:23:53

Go through your insurance company and report to police. I think you can do the report online. There's a reason he doesn't want to go through the proper channels.

PoshPenny Sat 11-Aug-18 16:24:13

To be honest it sounds as if there could be a fair bit of damage to your car from this, as well as possible injuries to you. It sounds as if insurance is the correct route for you to take for this reason.

They don't want to go through insurance because everything is at least double the price, it's a huge money making industry basically. For some collisions it makes no difference really, if it's a straightforward and easy to repair dent. Then of course their premium will go up next year.

There's nothing to stop them repairing their own car themselves but you are completely within your rights to have your car repaired professionally via your insurance company.

mynaughtylittlesister Sat 11-Aug-18 16:24:27

Go through insurance without a doubt! I had a minor bump a few years ago. I was stationary and car reversed into me. Driver gave me full name, address and mobile number but was desperate not to go through insurers. I did as after driving for over 30 years had never had an accident and was worried. Turns out driver did not have any insurance. Crazy thing was they had given me correct name and address. They knew full well they had no insurance.

MummytoCSJH Sat 11-Aug-18 16:29:12

Echoing others here. There's usually a reason drivers don't want others delving into their insurance - they don't have any or aren't covered for that! Go through your insurance, it shouldnt affect your premium as it is non fault. Making a deal with the other party usually doesn't benefit you in any way. I used to work at a personal injury sols. If you are injured, you can claim for it (whiplash which may seem like nothing now, but from experience I know it can get worse days and even weeks after the accident), any medication you buy or are prescribed and pay for due to the accident, if any childrens car seats were in the car at the time they need to be replaced even if no visible damage, any time off work or anything else in the vehicle that needs to be replaced or repaired. Just to add you can claim for 3 years from the date of the accident. Your insurers should have a preferred solicitor and you may have legal cover on your policy which means no fees. I do want to add that claiming in this way doesnt affect your insurance price as many people don't claim for this reason.

mommybear1 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:18:37

Go through your insurance

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: