Talk

Advanced search

WWYD family and lottery

(45 Posts)
NT53NJT Mon 06-Aug-18 22:45:36

If you won the big £67m lottery what would you do for all of your family (if anything?)
Personally I'd pay off all their debts and tell them not to ask me for handouts again. That way everyone is on a clean slate and level playing field.

BakedBeans47 Mon 06-Aug-18 22:52:09

Probably give them all a million per family unit and that would be it.

Wetwashing00 Mon 06-Aug-18 22:55:40

I would buy my mum and mil a house each and make sure they don’t have to worry about money again. FIL & siblings would get a million each.

PrtScn Mon 06-Aug-18 22:56:40

I’d only tell my sister I’d won money. I’d bung her a few quid as well as buy her a house with garden and off road parking and tell her to pretend she bought it herself. I’d buy my mum a bungalow, but pretend it was a buy to let, as otherwise she’d constantly be wanting money off me. Any nieces and nephews I’d set up a trust fund for them that they’d not be told about until they are 18 or 21.

I would potentially help out my best friend but other family members probably not as there are far too many of them (dad one of 8, with 2 - 4 children each, who all have now got at least 2+ children themselves).
If any family member was desperate though I’d probably help them out anonymously.

C0untDucku1a Mon 06-Aug-18 22:58:05

after recent family illness and two sibs being utterly fucking useless and actually saying it had to be me to deal with everything, despite also working because im female they can fuck off.

My other sib house, some money, school fees for dc.

My parents money, private health care, a stress free as possible move to a more suitable home now theyre both older.

Id buy a house woth an annex for my Gran. another who already has an apparently endless Pension

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Mon 06-Aug-18 22:58:52

Change my name and move house

careerontrack Mon 06-Aug-18 23:01:43

I’d give each of my nieces and nephews £1m on the proviso that it was used to buy each of them a flat in London which would be let out until they were old enough to live in it. My siblings and parents are all very comfortable so wouldn’t give them anything,

Oswin Mon 06-Aug-18 23:03:24

I would give my sister and four brothers a million or two. My mom and dad ten mil. My best friend a million. My ex mil and Sil a million each. My nan a million.
My uncles qnd aunts would get half a million each. Same with my great aunts and uncles.
I have spent years planning this grin

Rainuntilseptember Mon 06-Aug-18 23:04:18

How would it be a level playing field if you’re on 67 million OP and they are zero? Not that it had to be, but paying off debts alone (unless they have giant ones!) is a tiny drop in a 67 million Ocean. I’d give a million to each of mine, and some for their children too. I have close friends who I’d like to set up too. Maybe some to my workmates and they could all resign at once wink

SequinsOnEverything Mon 06-Aug-18 23:13:05

I'd buy a house for my parents, sisters and sil. I'd pay off the mortgage of four friends. I'd probably also give parents, sisters and sil a chunk of money. I'd probably put some money into trust funds for some key children in my life too.

I'd ask all of those people to keep it quiet though, I wouldn't want others to feel annoyed they'd been left out or for people to ask/expect me to pay for everything.

dinosaurkisses Mon 06-Aug-18 23:17:46

I’d give my sister at least £10m

My parents £5m

DH’s family £5m between them

Charity £10m

Invest £20m

I think we could get by comfortably on the £17m left grin

mostdays Mon 06-Aug-18 23:20:25

£67million? I'd do a lot more than pay off their debts! I can't imagine having that kind of (totally unearned) wealth and going about sourly grousing that people might want 'handouts' or may expect me to pay for things.

Screaminginsidemeagain Mon 06-Aug-18 23:26:38

I think I’d buy them all a house and a car, pay off any debts. Nieces &nephews a fund to go to private schools. I’d also offer them their dream holidays- whatever they were.

AnnabelleLecter Mon 06-Aug-18 23:27:48

Buy DC, nephews and nieces houses plus lots of cash gifts over the years.
£1 million each to siblings and parents.
£1 million each to friends who are like family to us.
£500k each to cousins.
£100k each to other significant people.

Wetwashing00 Mon 06-Aug-18 23:30:05

I would buy my mum and mil a house each and make sure they don’t have to worry about money again. FIL & siblings would get a million each.

Bezm Mon 06-Aug-18 23:36:38

I'm always playing this game!
So £67 000 000 !
£1 mil to each of our siblings = £5 mil
Bungalow for MIL and one for DM and Stepdad =£1 mil
£10 mil to each DD = £20 mil
£1 mil to each of our nephews and nieces = £10 mil
Total spent so far =£36 mil

Balance left over £31 mil.
What's the point of being so rich when your family are not? I wouldn't put any conditions on it, or tell them how to spend it. After all, if it's a lottery ticket, I didn't do anything t earn it. It's just pure luck!

NorbertTheDragon Mon 06-Aug-18 23:45:47

£67m.

So I guess I'd have to give half to my ex as we're still married?

That would leave me with £33.5m.

I don't have siblings or parents so I'd give my aunts, cousins and their kids enough each to see them all right. Around £5m I'd say.

My best friends would get enough to pay off mortgages or buy a house.

There's a few local charities that I'd give to, probably set up a direct debit for a big amount.

Then it's just me and the kids. Bigger house. Car or two (big one for all of us, small one for just me) A camper van! Yes! Dream holiday somewhere (knowing my kids it will be a comic con in the USA.grin)

Put some in trust for the kids.

I'm going to go and look at houses now.

Should also buy a ticket!

BasicUsername Tue 07-Aug-18 10:37:03

@dinosaurkisses

So your family would get 15 million, and your DH's family would get a third of that? That would go down well 😂

flumpybear Tue 07-Aug-18 10:48:24

I'd make sure my friends and family were comfortable and didn't need to worry about money
Invest some and share the interest amongst local charities
Invest money for my children
Keep say 20miion and invest the rest into a business - probably holiday destination / spa hotel in U.K.

dinosaurkisses Tue 07-Aug-18 11:36:06

@BasicUsername hahaha well DH maybe should have bought a ticket then!

Peoplemaynoticeus Tue 07-Aug-18 11:45:20

This would be a time that I'm grateful I have no friends or family wink.

ILoveMyDressingGown Tue 07-Aug-18 11:45:58

I wouldn't let on how much I'd won. If anything, I'd just say I'd won £100K on a scratchcard and give them 5K each.

After that, I'd pay off all my own debts, buy my own small house in the same area I live in at the moment and just live more or less as I do now, but with more trips away and time spent on my hobby.

I'd give a decent amount to a couple of charities that are close to my heart and would put an equal amount to one side in some sort of trust fund for my children.

I wouldn't go mad with it and stay buying loads of big mansions etc because I'd hates to fritter it away and then end up back at square one but with less respect from the people who know me.

chipsandpeas Tue 07-Aug-18 11:57:44

My mum would get something the rest would get fuck all

mummyhaschangedhername Tue 07-Aug-18 12:04:50

That's some serious money! I'd certainly help out a lot of people. I'd keep 10m for me and trust fund for my children, but otherwise I would enjoy helping out the significant people in my life, which doesn't necessarily mean family.

NoNoCharlieRascal Tue 07-Aug-18 12:07:12

Obviously good amounts to family and friends.

But what I would love to do is secretly find out everyone who was using a food bank and post a good amount of cash through their letter boxes to ease their pressure a bit. Cash so they could hide it and it wouldn't effect any benefits or claims.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: