Talk

Advanced search

Do you prefer new builds or period properties?

(8 Posts)
user1483390742 Thu 07-Jun-18 23:20:29

We live in a lovely Victorian terrace, although parking is a nightmare. I have always loved older houses.
Just dropped my DD to her friends house which is a new build. They have off road parking, a purpose built park and lots of green space around them, and my DD loves going there. I have come away thinking how lovely it would be to live there! It seems so clean and new and quiet, and makes our busy road look tired and dirty and too full of parked cars- something i never thought i would say!
What has come over me?
Can someone please talk some sense into me?

HeddaGarbled Thu 07-Jun-18 23:27:14

I think you've just about summed up a dilemma that lots of us face. I love the charm and attractiveness of older properties but the only ones within my budget are on busy roads with no off road parking, so I've gone for a newer estate, for all the advantages you describe. When I make my fortune, however ...........

BitchQueen90 Fri 08-Jun-18 15:16:59

Neither really. I prefer 70s semis!

I'm not a fan of period features at all and hate anything old fashioned. I like the idea of a new build as a blank canvas but there's not much potential to add value and the rooms are always really small.

sugarbum Fri 08-Jun-18 15:24:22

I love looking at really well kept older houses. Ones with sweeping driveways and beautiful spacious grounds. If I could afford one (and I could afford the furniture to go, plus a designer because I don't have the taste to make one look its best. And a gardener. And a cleaner. and so on....

But practically, and financially that wouldn't work for us, so we're moving into a new build next month. Which has space for two cars and a private driveway. And won't look weird with our cheap furniture smile

Claystone Fri 08-Jun-18 15:29:30

We've lived in both. Absolutely love our new build. Easy to heat and maintain. The listed house was a money pit.

MotherofKitties Fri 08-Jun-18 16:14:45

The older the house the bigger the rooms as a general rule of thumb, but the older the house the more it costs to maintain! I've lived in a new build and currently in a house approx 100 years old, and I prefer where we currently live. Yes, there's always work to do to it, but I like the space and garden!

Doodlebug5 Sun 10-Jun-18 17:07:06

I think newer new builds are getting bigger.

I've just bought a new build with over 2200sq ft of space for just shy of £280k. I couldn't get anything remotely similar in my current town for less than £400k. Don't rule them out for being small.

MumofBoysx2 Wed 13-Jun-18 07:58:03

Ours is 400 years old and is lovely, but we have spent a fortune on it recently to make it that way. I do sometimes envy people with proper straight walls and easy furniture arrangements but deep down I love ours and will never move.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: