Talk

Advanced search

Moving from rough part of London to Birmingham

(88 Posts)
ploads Wed 30-May-18 18:30:54

Hi all grin

I'm new to this site so I hope that I've posted this in the right area!

I'm a recent graduate, with an 11-month-old and another child on the way!! London is too expensive for us to live comfortably (Garden, drive etc), so I have been considering moving to the West Midlands for the last two years.

I went to uni in the East Midlands and enjoyed the quiet roads, neighbours being friendly etc... but do also like the option to have a good time and not be tooo far from the city!

I work in the city for a big four finance firm and I have managed to save up enough money to afford a tiny flat on my rough estate or a big (I think) house in Brum! I would be able to transfer to the Birmingham office of my company, partner would have to find a new job but shouldn't be too hard as every company has HR roles!

Our budget is around £300k, maximum £350k (mortgage). We would like 3 bedrooms minimum, 4 would be nice.

I would like to be close enough to commute to Broad Street/Snow Hill area in under 45 minutes, 30 minutes or less would be ideal.

Good schools, primary and secondary are also very important. Our first born is a boy and second is a girl, so would need mixed gender schools.

We are of Caribbean descent so it would be nice to live in a multi-cultural/diverse area, but at the same time there have been so much shootings and stabbings in my area in London so would like to be in a decent area too!

This is one of the main reasons for wanting to move to (a nice part of) Birmingham so that our children don't have to grow up through what we (I) did.

I've heard about Four Oaks, Sutton Coldfield, Moseley, Solihull... where else is nice!?

Main concerns are the commute to the city (for me) and good schools for the kids.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks all

ploads Wed 30-May-18 18:34:45

Forgot to mention that we would be looking to send the children to state schools!

SueVide Wed 30-May-18 18:40:07

I don't know much about Birmingham but I'd suggest you repost this on the Property/DIY board as the people there will definitely be able to advise you and prob find you a house!

ploads Wed 30-May-18 18:52:14

Thank you Sue smile

DuchyDuke Wed 30-May-18 18:55:37

I personally wouldn’t buy in Birmingham. Instead I’d buy a 3-5 bedroom detached house Nottinghamshire and commute to London.

LizzieMacQueen Wed 30-May-18 19:13:27

Might sound a bit random but have you considered moving to Scotland? Big 4 have offices there too.

ploads Wed 30-May-18 19:14:46

@LizzieMacQueen

Nope! Brum is the furthest out we'd go, all family is in London so don't want to be too far! Thanks though

ploads Wed 30-May-18 19:15:25

@DuchyDuke

Commute would be too long! I wan't to see my kids grow up, not just on the weekends!!

bananapuddles Wed 30-May-18 19:16:02

I live in South Birmingham and absolutely love it for children. There is so much going on, I have a bus route pretty much door to door from my house to Snow Hill.

You could look along the number 9 route? Hagley road/Bearwood/Quinton/Halesowen/Edgbaston

DuchyDuke Wed 30-May-18 19:16:31

I do that commute currently - takes me less time than my colleague’s commute from Birmingham suburbs to the centre of birmingham (1 hr 30 each way).

DuchyDuke Wed 30-May-18 19:17:26

I’m guessing you work for Deloitte, PWC or KPMG? Worst case scenario work in their Leicester / Nottingham sites.

MrsDilber Wed 30-May-18 19:18:43

Solihull is south Birmingham, great motorway access.

user1471456416 Wed 30-May-18 19:19:43

Hi, we live in Bournville. It’s very picturesque, low crime and the schools are good. Train is less than 10 mins to Town.
Lots of green spaces and a “village” atmosphere. I’ve always found the community to be friendly and helpful.

Spottytop1 Wed 30-May-18 19:22:16

Harborne? Some parts of Rednal/Frankley. You can also commute quite easily from Halesowen or Stourbridge to Birmingham on the train and you have some nice houses on the outskirts of both Halesowen and Stourbridge (both Hagley or Kingswinford side). Or if you don't mind a 15 - 20 minute drive to the train station you have Clent, Kinver or Kingswinford.

Vitalogy Wed 30-May-18 19:24:04

That's a good budget for the area OP, I don't think you'll have a problem.

ploads Wed 30-May-18 19:24:07

@bananapuddles

Sounds good! I have a friend who lives in Kings Norton she recommended Moseley and said the bus journey is quite quick, 30 mins or so. I will have a look at those areas, thanks.

ploads Wed 30-May-18 19:25:44

@DuchyDuke

Yeah I work for Deloitte - Nottingham isn't really an option, thanks though! The longest I'd want to commute i'd like to spend travelling is 45 minutes. Where abouts are you in Nottinghamshire?

ploads Wed 30-May-18 19:26:34

@MrsDilber

Thanks! Motorway isn't that important, won't be going to London often enough!! But Solihull does look nice too, quite expensive though. Do you live there?

MindBodyChocolate Wed 30-May-18 19:28:59

Bournville is really nice and it’s very easy to get into town. Good luck with your move.

Cantchooseaname Wed 30-May-18 19:32:48

Driving across brum is a nightmare- rush hour traffic is horrid. The cross city train is pretty good and fast.
Lived in bournville- it’s lovely! Not sure how far £350k would go there. Kings heath/ Moseley also good-quite bohemian, but not on train line (although closer to city).
Some parts kings norton are nice.
Avoid Selly oak- just students, really- expensive property.
Avoid north of city- nechells/ Aston/ handsworth/ erdington.
Bearwood/ Quinton- not sure about secondary schools.
Harborne- leafy suburb, close to hospital.
Birmingham has changed beyond recognition on last 10 years- has some really good things going on.
There is new metro line - not sure where it goes, but gets right into new st station/ snow hill.

CarriePerry Wed 30-May-18 19:38:32

I used to live in Moseley and absolutely loved it. It's quirky and has a fab little park that you need a key to get in to. I felt safe walking there at night and it's just a brilliant place to live. You'd have to get the bus in to town however I believe they are looking at reopening the train line as the demand is there. I live in Staffordshire now and commute to New Street in Brum in 37 mins!

CarriePerry Wed 30-May-18 19:39:41

I'm also Caribbean and know exactly what you mean re wanting to live in a multi cultural place. Sutton Coldfield is nice but it is officially the least multi cultural place in Brum!

Nevth Wed 30-May-18 19:41:25

Hey OP - would you be able to be a little more specific in terms of where you live/work in London, and what your commute time limit is? I have friends who have bought 3 beds for that price in/just outside of London and their commute is about 30-45 mins on the train.

Nevth Wed 30-May-18 19:42:56

Ah sorry I see you just answered one of my questions in your last post blush

MsStink Wed 30-May-18 19:54:40

You want to look along the cross city line IMO. Moseley is nice yes, but you are reliant on buses. With the cross city line you get more options.

So anywhere from Erdington onwards if you are going north and university if you are going south. I don't really know the southern areas but Bournville and King's Norton (King's Heath?) are rated.

Erdington is very multicultural but parts are quite poor and rough. Big polish population, high street with some basic shops and cafes but few nice ones. You could get a decent size house for £300/350.

After Erdington is Sutton Coldfield stops and you would struggle to get a big house for £300 but would get an ok one. Good, oversubscribed schools both primary and secondary. the town centre is ok, has a reasonable selection of shops, bars and cafes/ restaurants. Sutton park is a plus. Pretty white but not overwhelmingly white (at least where I am).

It's a city on the up so we are told! Lots of investment apparently so hopefully lots of jobs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: