Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about changing my first name?

(20 Posts)
Welshgal13 Sun 22-Apr-18 21:12:25

My first name is Charlotte and I absolutely despise it, I have never been anywhere where there hasn't been another Charlotte, I even had to share a flat in uni with a girl who had the same first and middle name as me.

I started going by Charley but that seems to be what every Charlotte does and my family has decided to name our new dog Charlie so its kind of the final straw.

I don't want to upset my mum by changing my name so I'm considering giving myself a new middle name and asking to be known as that. But I'm worried that because my new name will be Welsh that when people find out I have an easy to pronounce first name they'll start calling me that again.

I'm going to back to uni to do my masters next year and I haven't started a career or anything so now is the time to switch names if I'm going to do it.

Do I add a new first name or middle name?

BackforGood Sun 22-Apr-18 22:10:11

I think if you want to change your name, and be known by that name, then it makes sense to make it your first name, or you are just going to be forever explaining about your initials and why you use a different name.
However, if you have already decided that people aren't going to be able to pronounce your new name, are you not rather jumping out of one frying pan into a fire ? confused

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 22-Apr-18 22:14:07

I know a Lottie (abbreviated from Charlotte) which I think is lovely. Not much help.... grin

Handbaghag Sun 22-Apr-18 22:14:15

What about Callie? Or Cat? Caz, Chaz Presume you've thought about Lottie? . Difficult one. I can see where you're coming from. Why now?

Handbaghag Sun 22-Apr-18 22:15:31

Carrie?

Handbaghag Sun 22-Apr-18 22:16:09

That was an add on, not a correction. I love Callie!

marmitecrumpets Sun 22-Apr-18 22:17:08

I think go with Lottie or Lotts

DancingLedge Sun 22-Apr-18 22:18:30

Provided you're prepared to announce the name you wish to be known by, people will go along with that. Beginnings, of a course, or a new job, is the moment.
If you gain a new first name, no need to tell people what to call you. But choosing to use a middle name, also not complex. One of my DC does.
Difficult name to pronounce? Just address it head on" I'm xxy, written xxy, pronounced xxy."

No one civilised is going to use your first name , if you've told them your preferred name.

Caulk Sun 22-Apr-18 22:20:27

I know a Lottie, Lotta, Chark, Charl and a Shar.

Not a huge amount of help if you’re settled on changing it though!

Welshgal13 Mon 23-Apr-18 07:40:54

Thank you for replying smile All the nicknames for Charlotte are probably why it has never felt like my name, I've been called so many different variations and none of them have stuck.

I'm thinking about going by Haf (Haav) because its easy to pronounce for non-welsh speakers? I don't mind having to explain how it's pronounced so long as people try.

joystir59 Mon 23-Apr-18 07:54:52

The only thing I would say is that you were born Charlotte, so it is who you are and changing your name is to move away from that reality. Away from yourself.

Welshgal13 Mon 23-Apr-18 08:01:27

So do I go with;

Charlotte Eluned-Haf
Eluned Charlotte Haf
Eluned-Haf Charlotte

Eluned - El-lyn-ed - I feel like no one will be able to pronounce it without help so I'd go by Haf

Welshgal13 Mon 23-Apr-18 08:02:38

I wouldn't get rid of Charlotte completely but it just feels like everyone elses name, not my own sad

DancingLedge Mon 23-Apr-18 23:21:31

You absolutely are free not to be a label/name someone else has given you.

The middle one sounds more balanced.
But if Haf is what you want to be known by, simplest is
Haf Eluned Charlotte

But being known as a middle name is also fine.
Which one do you like most?

DancingLedge Tue 24-Apr-18 18:41:51

Just wondered if you'd come to a conclusion?
I'd really encourage you to go for it, if you've thought about it for a while.

WineGummyBear Tue 24-Apr-18 18:47:55

Haf is lovely!

Welshgal13 Tue 24-Apr-18 19:17:57

Thank you for all being so positive.

I think I'm going to go with Eluned - Haf Charlotte Dutton, that way I can leave Charlotte out if I want to. My family are already starting to take the mick out of me (not in a mean way) but I expected that.

Haf always sounds better as a middle name I think but I could nickname myself Haf or even shorten Eluned to Ellen. I've never met an Ellen so I'd be happy with that too smile

DancingLedge Tue 24-Apr-18 19:35:07

smilewine
Congratulations, Eluned-Haf Charlotte!

Spam88 Tue 24-Apr-18 19:44:44

I love Eluned 👍

toastedbeagle Tue 24-Apr-18 20:08:46

My neighbour has a DD called Haf! Although think I'd never seen if written so put "Harv/Half" in the Xmas card as that's how it sounds.

Eluned is pretty although if I saw it written I'd want to give you the nickname Luna! But it's not pronounced like that I think!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: