Talk

Advanced search

About this play date?

(11 Posts)
Peachyfizz Sun 11-Feb-18 17:08:29

Meant to be seeing a friend next week. Our children are the same age 18 months. I suggested either going to either one of ours or a play area etc. Her suggestion is to go to a coffee shop. Don't feel like it's a good place to go as they will get bored and I know my DS won't sit still for too long.

What should I say? I really don't want to go to the coffee shop.

HuskyMcClusky Sun 11-Feb-18 17:10:48

Umm. I would say ‘I don’t feel like it's a good place to go as they will get bored and I know my DS won't sit still for too long.’

Is this a trick question?

Peachyfizz Sun 11-Feb-18 17:12:04

Why would it be a trick question? I mean I don't know what else to suggest as she obviously doesn't like my other suggestions I made because she's ignored it.

BackforGood Sun 11-Feb-18 17:28:00

Like Husky said - it's not difficult.
Say "Oh, now they are mobile, we won't be able to chat for any length of time in a coffee shop as they will get bored. Come to mine, and I'll get some {insert favourite choice of cake} in"

Does sound like a trick question, tbf

Peachyfizz Sun 11-Feb-18 17:36:47

No need to be funny about it. It weren't a trick question. Maybe some people find it harder knowing what to say to others.

Ginormoustrawberry Sun 11-Feb-18 17:39:11

But you did know what to say - you typed it above:

‘I don’t feel like it's a good place to go as they will get bored and I know my DS won't sit still for too long.’

Peachyfizz Sun 11-Feb-18 17:42:41

I then posted saying I don't know what to suggest as she ignored my suggestions. Which were coming to mine or hers or play areas.

Don't know why I bothered

Botanistinhiding Sun 11-Feb-18 17:45:01

Or you could try the less confrontational ‘last time I tried to have a quiet coffee, I spent the whole time chasing DS, he wouldn’t sit for a minute

KatnissK Sun 11-Feb-18 17:46:28

Could you suggest a coffee shop near a park / soft play / your house? Then you have somewhere to escape to when the babies get bored!

TimesNewRoman Sun 11-Feb-18 17:47:28

Maybe she didn't want you to go to hers as she wanted out the house, and possibly assumed you would feel the same. Maybe her DC sits still for longer. I have this with a friend who's DC is same age as mine, hers would just sit happily for ages and mine would be climbing the walls. Just say what you've said above and invite her to yours instead with nice cake as suggested above. It won't sound rude or off.

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Sun 11-Feb-18 17:50:25

Do u have any coffee shops with a play area for children? Theres a few near me like that. Or a soft play with cafe? smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now