Talk

Advanced search

House move advice

(5 Posts)
PeapodBurgundy Sat 10-Feb-18 20:23:39

Any tips for managing a house move with a toddler? (both supporting him and the practical side of things). I've only ever moved as a singleton, so I'm feeling quite daunted!

itshappenedagain Tue 13-Feb-18 09:29:45

I did a house move with an 8 month old and a 4 year old. Best advice I can give is use the numbered box method ( I.e box one packed first stuff you use least) At least that way you know what's in each one, especially for his toys. The add coloured labels to each box( I used highlighter on white sticky labels,) so you can direct the removal people to the right room with the boxes easily.
If you can get in and do a good clean before your stuff arrives I'd advise that too( i didn't like the thought of my dd crawling around in others peoples mess! )
On the first night make sure you put you beds up as soon as you get there! Put you bedding and pillows in a large bag ( in the boot of your car if you drive) do you can at least have a bit of normality!
I kept a small bag of toys with me, but my DGM looked after my DC until all of the boxes were in the new house and I'd put the beds up.
I also made s big fuss of DS with his big boy room. And DD stayed in with me.

Happy moving!

milkjetmum Tue 13-Feb-18 09:33:38

First get removal people don't diy it! Money well spent. We had family look after dd1 for the day, and we got her room set up first so that when she came back after dinner she could go straight to bed and feel at home. Rest of the house we did as we went along.

twohandstwokids Sat 17-Feb-18 00:20:58

If it's near by do loads of drive by's. Go play in the local playgrounds. Talk about the new house. This said, they will be fine. They just want to be with Mum and dad. Getting someone else to look after them the day of the move will make it much more hassle free

PeapodBurgundy Sat 17-Feb-18 14:15:22

Thanks ladies. I have no choice but to hire removal people, I don't drive and I'm pregnant with some delightful added complications meaning I'm absolutely can't risk carrying things.
I numbered boxed everything moving into this place, even though we just hired a van, but we had help so it meant I didn't have to coordinate everyone, we could all just crack on.
I've managed to organise it so we get the keys to the new place on the Friday morning, and hand in the keys to this place the following Monday morning (one of the perks of renting). I've saved up for a cleaner to do both ends for me, so that's one less thing I have to worry about.
DS will be with me all day, and there won't be much in the way of help, but he's laid back most of the time, and will happily play outside for hours, so I've arranged a friend to take his outdoor toys over on the morning, so we can set up that space for him, and he'll likely be happy as Larry for a while having a good old explore.
We're moving across town, but it's not that big of a town, so all of his groups will be the same, the only real difference in terms of outings, will be that the local park will be the one we usually only visit for a full day (we'll go when there's an event on, take a picnic and make a real run out of it, because it's a 45 minute walk to get there).
He's a happy little chap most of the time, so I'm lucky in that respect, but his Great Nana is terminally ill (and at the end of her illness now), one of our cats just passed away, I'm pregnant and we obviously have the move coming up; I'm just conscious that it's a lot of big changes for a small person to take on board. I just didn't want to take it for granted that he's going to take all of that in his stride.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: