Talk

Advanced search

My neighbour has just started drilling

(12 Posts)
Reala Fri 09-Feb-18 21:11:46

What time is acceptable for building work to be going on in a residential area?

I have googled but seem to be getting conflicting answers ranging from up till 11pm (after which is classed as “night”) and 8pm on the EPA website?

Anyone shed some light on this?

New people have just moved in next door and seem to think it’s acceptable to start drilling stuff in to the (very thin) walls at 9pm.

😞

himynameiss Fri 09-Feb-18 21:14:07

Erm... this is not the time to be using a drill.... especially if you have babies asleep. I would give them the benefit of the doubt tonight but if it continues over the weekend then I would politely say something x

TinWhistleTunes Fri 09-Feb-18 21:16:08

They're probably just putting shelves up, and couldn't do it earlier because they've been at work or something. Cut them some slack, you've got to live next door to them so need a good relationship.

If it continues after about 10pm, you could knock on the door being all apologetic because you know it's hard to get things done quickly when first moving in, but please could they stop soon.

It will likely only be for a few days or a couple of weeks at most, then they'll be relaxing quietly in front of Netflix like the rest of us.

Reala Fri 09-Feb-18 21:16:44

It’s on and off every few minutes so I presume they are putting up pictures.

I really do not want to go round there as I haven’t even met them yet and don’t want to get off on the wrong foot.

I know though, no matter what the guidelines are, 9pm is just inconsiderate. I’m just sitting here getting more and more angry!

LtGreggs Fri 09-Feb-18 21:18:43

Oh just pop round and say. When we've moved in to new places we've been really excited and would definitely have started hanging pictures late at night without really thinking it through. Be super friendly and it could be a nice chance to meet them?

TinWhistleTunes Fri 09-Feb-18 21:19:33

If they're putting up pictures, then they'll only have to do it once. Relax, it'll be over soon.

Ivebeenaroundtheblock Fri 09-Feb-18 21:19:37

They are in the privacy of their own home, probably unaware the walls are paper thin.
Not like they are outside with a jack hammer.

JeNeSuisPasVotreMiel Fri 09-Feb-18 21:21:15

I was putting up a shelf in our new home at 6.40pm (I was at work in the daytime) neighbours upstairs started banging on the floor.

It really made things difficult for me.
However their expectations don't stretch to any kind of awareness that no one needs to hear their show tunes blasted out at deafening volume every weekend evening for 2 hours without fail.

TinWhistleTunes Fri 09-Feb-18 21:21:55

My lovely neighbour never complained when we had building work done. It must have driven her crazy, I didn't realise at the time that she worked nights and was trying to sleep in the daytime. When I apologised about the noise one day, she just smiled and said "these things need to be done sometimes, I know you have a good reason". Bless her.

SD1978 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:24:39

From what I can gather- it’s once. It’s a power tool, the title is a little dramatic. Yes I understand it’s a pest, but unless it becomes regular behaviour and consistent over a few night, let them settle in.

Flomy Fri 09-Feb-18 21:27:36

They are probably wincing doing it.

If its the same shizzle in a couple of weeks, then go round.

Keep your enemies close.

Reala Fri 09-Feb-18 21:28:53

I’m normally really relaxed about this sort of thing. It’s just really getting to me tonight.

They’ve been in since at least 5pm and they have only just started now. I was going to go to bed at half 9 but it’s still going on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now