Talk

Advanced search

Give up learning to drive manual?

(7 Posts)
reluctantjogger Wed 07-Feb-18 14:34:44

Am generally v capable (whatever that means) so struggling with this one. Have been trying to learn to drive for a long time - had in the region of 40 lessons shock but just cannot stop panicking about gears. I'm happy with every other aspect of driving, just constantly worried about stalling, having to change up and down etc. Sounds silly but I honestly just can't seem to get used to it. I currently actively avoid driving.

Should I just give up the ghost, do my automatic test, trade in our car for an automatic, and "upgrade" my license later if I want to? Has anyone done this and actually regretted it? Just really want a bit of independence to be honest, wish I'd learned at 17!

bakingdemon Wed 07-Feb-18 14:39:50

I really struggled learning to drive - failed 7 Times blush. We now have an automatic car and I wish I'd learned on one all along. Go for it if that's what makes the difference for you

scurryfunge Wed 07-Feb-18 14:43:00

Life's too short. If it's causing you angst then switch to automatic.

Unihorn Wed 07-Feb-18 14:45:16

I had ten manual lessons at 17 and hated them. At 24 I started learning in an automatic and passed after about 15 lessons. I've had no problem buying a car and it's never caused me any issues yet. Cars are more likely to be auto in the future anyway.

reluctantjogger Wed 07-Feb-18 14:49:43

Thank you so much all three of you! flowers Everyone keeps saying to me, 'oh but you should have the option' and I feel exactly like you lot - life's too short to be worrying about this! Going to call the auto instructor this afternoon...

PinkBuffalo Wed 07-Feb-18 14:51:47

I passed my test in an auto! Well done for booking!
I couldn't do manual & just figured driving auto was better than not driving. So glad I did it.

Nohome Fri 09-Feb-18 12:17:39

I’m dyslexic so learning in a manual was just impossible, no matter how hard I tried I just couldn’t get it.

I swapped to auto and now drive one, it gets me from a to b & I have a nice car. Not everyone can do everything just go auto and good luck I’m sure you’ll pass fast x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now