Advanced search

Drop out of teaching course or not?

(17 Posts)
Rachthesame Fri 26-Jan-18 22:44:13

Has anyone dropped out of a PGCE/ initial teacher training and regretted it? I am at a bit of a crossroads with mine and need to decide soon.

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Fri 26-Jan-18 22:46:13

Are you near the point where if you carry on you won’t be entitled to a refund?

Rachthesame Fri 26-Jan-18 22:49:11

We have paid two installments so far. Next is due next term and not refundable once paid.

missmapp Fri 26-Jan-18 22:50:13

What is about teaching/ the course that makes you think it isn't for you?

IfyouseeRitaMoreno Fri 26-Jan-18 22:53:05

Be honest with yourself. Do you have what it takes to be a teacher?

Chaosofcalm Fri 26-Jan-18 22:56:59

Do you want to be a teacher?

Rachthesame Fri 26-Jan-18 22:58:22

I don't want to go into details because it's quite outing, but it's a specific incident that has made me very unhappy with the course provider. Also, the workload , with a family.

MyBrilliantDisguise Fri 26-Jan-18 22:59:22

It's very mean to say "Do you have what it takes to be a teacher" when morale in teaching is rock bottom.

Rachthesame Fri 26-Jan-18 23:00:15

But I'm just wanting to know if anyone has actually dropped out and regretted it. I've heard from a lot of people who have dropped out and are very glad they did so, so i am interested to hear from anyone with the opposite experience.

crazycatgal Fri 26-Jan-18 23:06:02

My DP dropped out of a secondary biology PGCE because of the lack of support by his mentors and the school he was in. He hasn't regretted the decision because it was the right thing for his mental health but he can't afford to do it again with another provider because he won't get the bursary again.

AmazingGrace16 Fri 26-Jan-18 23:09:17

you're over half way through your training. If you drop out it will be harder to pick up and start again as you have to disclose it.

keep at it but discuss your concerns with your ITT mentor.

ScienceNut Fri 26-Jan-18 23:15:54

I would say talk to your course provuder.

They will have complaints procedure for any specific instances, and you should be able to find some support.

I wouldn’t do anything definite on a Friday night.

Bubble04 Fri 26-Jan-18 23:17:23

I did a pgce and know a few people who dropped out part way through or just after completion. None have any regrets. I do however know plenty who have finished the course and now regret going into teaching. It's a great career in so many ways, but horrific in others. Follow your heart x

spinn Sat 27-Jan-18 07:58:46

The pgce qual is hugely recognised and you don't have to teach afterwards. It gets you jobs in random things you wouldn't expect so since you are almost half way through and a lot of the rest should be placements now is stick it out and get it under my belt.

If it's a provider issue, is there any othe local providers you can transfer too? Open university?

84teacher Sun 04-Mar-18 00:26:03

I’ll put it this way: I’ve been teaching 11 years, the job does not get any easier! I’ve taught in 4 schools which all started off well, then the workload and extra responsibilities with no extra pay we’re piled on once I had settled in. Expect to be working 60+ hours per week every week. Don’t count on having school holidays off, the summer is the only break you will have, and it will probably only be 3 of the 6 weeks because you will be planning for the next academic year. I’m 33 with no children, yet I have no money at the end of each month and no free time for hobbies. With the pay freeze my pay is 17% lower than it should be; my friends who didn’t even go to university now earn more than me. My life is not my own, I have no free time during term-time, and can not afford luxury holidays during school holidays because they are so expensive. My routine for the last 12 years has included 12-16 hour days. I’m always sick (sore throat, cough, cold generally run-down). I want to settle down and have children, unfortunately I know that this is not an option if I want to stay in teaching; it’s a sad state of affairs but with the budget cuts I will probably be driven out as soon as I become pregnant, and replaced by a newly qualified teacher who is much cheaper. I have watched this happen to a lot of female teachers over the years.

I have considered a career change, but I’m not qualified for anything else and starting on £20k will not cover my mortgage. A teachers role and salary is not going to improve, it is going to get worse.

Get out now while you still have the chance to start a different career. Have a look on the tes forums under workplace dilemmas, you will read hundreds of posts like mine.

sayimtheonlybeeinyourbonnet Mon 05-Mar-18 14:45:53

Finish your PGCE then see how you feel. It's a shame to drop it now when you're nearer to the end than the start! I agree with the above poster though as if I could have my time again, I would not have stuck in teaching. As it is I've got a mortgage to pay for and a child to look after so I'm stuck. I try my best and work hard but moral in my school and amongst teacher friends elsewhere is rock bottom. For all of the wonderful sides to the job, I would not recommend it.

Don't waste your money and time though by dropping it now, finish your course as you never know how it might be useful in the future.

Blondephantom Tue 13-Mar-18 22:15:09

I’m a teacher. If it isn’t for you, the pgce still carries points towards a masters. It is probably worth seeing it through at this point. You can choose to follow a different career path afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now