Talk

Advanced search

What would you do - money related.

(46 Posts)
Christmasaurus Wed 10-Jan-18 18:44:24

You have the option to pay £400 for something now with a risk that it will not happen and you will lose the money. However, if it DOES happen you will need to pay for it but the cost of it may have increased to around £700.

Do you pay now and risk losing £400 completely or wait until it’s certain but run the risk of it costing a lot more?

Chances of it happening are hard to judge. Maybe 50/50 for ease!

BritInUS1 Wed 10-Jan-18 18:46:21

Depends where you can afford to lose the money or not

I would also want to understand the risks involved. What factors could stop it happening? Why would you lose the money?

Evelynismyformerspyname Wed 10-Jan-18 18:47:48

If it's 50/50 then it doesn't make sense to gamble £400 for a 50% chance of saving £300. IMO. If there were a 90% chance it would be different.

sirlee66 Wed 10-Jan-18 19:07:22

Would need more details to make a decision. Are you talking about a buying, say, a Travel system in the sales that will go up in price if you leave it..... or gambling on a horse...?

Christmasaurus Wed 10-Jan-18 19:11:52

Flights for a holiday sirlee

brit we could afford it but we’re. It rich so it would certainly be a pain.

sirlee66 Wed 10-Jan-18 19:16:57

Ah! Deffo buy now and make sure you get travel insurance and pay my credit card (remember to pay off in full!) You should be covered if anything goes wrong or plans need to change. Best of luck and I hope you have a lovely holiday!!!

Christmasaurus Wed 10-Jan-18 21:22:26

I’m not sure you can get insurance to cover people changing their mind can you?

sirlee66 Thu 11-Jan-18 07:43:50

It depends on the cover you get. Some airlines will let you change the dates but keep the cost of the seas the same. We did this a few years ago and bought tickets during term time and then moved them for the summer holidays. Saved a good chunk of money. Just be sure to check and double check if you can do things like that. A good website to look at is money saving expert. Thats like, my guru.

Christmasaurus Fri 12-Jan-18 09:41:29

Bumping for anyone else’s thoughts

Christmasaurus Fri 12-Jan-18 14:46:26

Bump!

Christmasaurus Sat 13-Jan-18 08:15:58

Anyone else?

ATeardropExplodes Sat 13-Jan-18 08:17:54

Why not actually tell people the actual situation instead of waiting for randoms to come along and give their views about a situation that you are not telling them about?

SavoyCabbage Sat 13-Jan-18 08:19:54

^^This

bakingaddict Sat 13-Jan-18 08:28:59

If it's just flights what's with all the cryptic clues. The flight will happen I assume, it's whether you take the flight. If money's not a problem I don't really understand why you wouldn't wait till nearer the time to go/fly when you're more certain of your dates than booking now when you're unsure if you'll actually be able to go.

Christmasaurus Sat 13-Jan-18 08:39:29

I’m. It purposely trying to be cryptic. It’s just that I literally wanted people’s views over whether they would rather spend £400 now and risk losing it all or wait and spend maybe £700 on the same thing but with certainty.

Christmasaurus Sat 13-Jan-18 08:41:31

*I’m not that should say.
I didn’t want to confuse my basic question with any of the details. It’s literally a question over the money aspect.

Would you prefer to spend £400 now and risk losing it or wait and potentially have to spend maybe £300 more? Apply to it anything you like!

C0untDucku1a Sat 13-Jan-18 08:41:43

If the other person changes their mind, change the name and take someone else. Win win.

FinallyHere Sat 13-Jan-18 09:08:19

Depends on the purpose of the risk for me. I might pay an extra £300 to be absolutely sure that i got the sea/flight/room I wanted, as a treat for myself. I would not pay an extra £300 because someone i wanted to go with, could not make up their own mind. In fact, it would put me off going with that person.

Just wondering whether that helps...

bakingaddict Sat 13-Jan-18 09:43:14

But most people have an idea of dates/their own availability when they book flights. It's a moot question if the flights are £300 cheaper but people can't yet commit to those dates. To me the key is more organisation, so dates have been selected in advance, people have committed to them, annual leave has been booked. Once that's all done then you're better equipped to get the best deals

juneau Sat 13-Jan-18 09:45:31

Why can't the other person make a decision now?

Christmasaurus Sat 13-Jan-18 10:03:03

The other person is my stepdaughter and last time she was due to come on holiday with us she changed her mind a week before we were going.

juneau Sat 13-Jan-18 10:11:34

In that case I wouldn't include her. She doesn't get to back out at the last minute. How old is she? I'd just book for those who can and want to commit.

Christmasaurus Sat 13-Jan-18 10:12:16

She’ll be 13 by the time we go

Christmasaurus Sat 13-Jan-18 10:13:00

She says she wants to go but of course she said that last time too! It’s tricky.

hevonbu Sat 13-Jan-18 10:19:13

I'm risk averse so based on this description I'd decide to forego the payment now and cough up the money later, should the trip materialise. In fact, I might look for another cheaper destination later and skip the uncertainty altogether. If it's about being to cancel if you fall ill and can't go, I'd take that insurance any time. Don't like to gamble if I mustn't. If you're uncertain about being able to coerce your 13 year old step daughter to go, don't buy the ticket, unless the destination is superbly attractive to a thirteenyearold and the odds are in your favour of her liking to go, then you need only to look out for the possibility that she (or you) has a cold and can't go for that reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now