Talk

Advanced search

Should I move up north??

(5 Posts)
Lisafarmer89 Tue 09-Jan-18 15:21:08

My husband and I live in the south east with our 1 year old in a rented new build house. We’ve rented for 7 years now and want to properly start saving for a house deposit so we can have some security and stability (being able to decorate and get a pet would also be a bonus) but houses are just too expensive where we live.

We’ve considered moving up to Cheshire as my Aunt lives there and always tells us how much cheaper the houses are and you can get so much more for your money etc.

I feel very anxious about renting forever, we were told by our last landlord he was selling the house just 2 weeks before my due date! So having stability is really important for us. Looking at house prices round here makes me depressed but when I look at properties in the North West it makes me feel hopeful that we could actually achieve it.

Just wanted to know if anyone has made this kind of jump for a better quality of life - and is it actually a better quality of life? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

F1reStarter Tue 09-Jan-18 16:36:04

There are lots of places where property is cheaper than South\London. Suggest looking on RightMove or Zoopla.
You would need to look at employment opportunities and wages
Look at schools
Transport local and National
How near will you be to family and friends
Work out how much deposit, moving costs, solicitirs fees, stamp duty, emergency costs to buy or rent
If you find somewhere you like, suggest spending a couple of days exploring the area before you move !

3teenageboys Fri 12-Jan-18 07:59:43

You really should look at Rightmove. Cheshire is lovely but it isn't that cheap. Like everywhere it depends what area you are looking at!!! Good Luck!!!!

Ladyb312 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:30:10

I moved up north to buy a property with my other half so we could get something bigger. Best thing I've ever done!! People are lovely and friendly and it's a lovely area - plus the house we got was amazing and I'd never in a million years be able to afford something like that down south! Do it, you only live once smile

Coco30 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:37:14

We moved and live about an hour away from Cheshire I absolutely love it here much more than where I am from (southeast.)
Like the friendly people and the countryside the cheaper houses are an added bonus.
Go for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: