Talk

Advanced search

Would you call the police? (Non emergency number)

(11 Posts)
MrsBonato Wed 06-Dec-17 22:22:37

So earlier this evening, around 5.30, there was a knock at the door. Wasn't expecting anyone, and we live in a dark corner of a quiet close. Saw my neighbor had their porch light on and thought it may be her as sometimes she calls for odd things. Turned the porch light on opened the door to find a young (between 13-15 year old) boy standing there and someone just out of my view but could see the shadow. He asked if I had a lighter, I said no, he nodded and I shut the door, locking it and turning the light off. I have been thinking about it all evening, I don't recognise him as living around here. Come to now and I'm feeling a bit worried, I've locked every door, the front door has three locks I usually only do the main one, tonight I've done all of them. Got to bed and left a light on. My DH is working away, he will panic as he is a real worrier and will not put my mind at ease at all. I don't know why I feel so worried, it was just so odd!
Should I call the non emergency police number, I don't want to waste time but also feel like if something does happen they'd say I should have called?
Doesn't help we were burgled 6 times as I was growing up and it's taken me years to get to grips with being the only adult in a house at night.

onlyonaTuesday Wed 06-Dec-17 22:28:54

I think you should get some security lights so you can see better and they come on if someone walks to your door. It might put you more at ease .

GardenGeek Wed 06-Dec-17 22:39:35

Leave the television on, so if it is something it makes it look like your working late atleast till your DP is back.

Atalune Wed 06-Dec-17 22:42:46

Call it and log it with the non emergency number.

Then go to bed with a light on.

Are you friendly enough with your neighbour to be able to ring them in the middle of the night if you had to?

Do not go outside. Have a good walk around your house and make sure everything is locked.

Dunno if I heard it on here but burglars often knock before to check if a property is empty. Which may give you some sort of twisted comfort.

MrsBonato Wed 06-Dec-17 22:49:30

We had security lights but they went off at any movement and really made me worse.

Been down and put the TV on.
Left car keys and bag down there too, not in view all curtains are shut. Always think I'd rather they take the stuff easily than disturb me and DS. I will call then just to log it, maybe they will patrol the area this eve.

I have the neighbours mobile number, I noticed her son's car is there which has put me a little more at ease as he's one to hear things and definitely would react.

Migraleve Wed 06-Dec-17 22:50:46

No it wouldn't even cross my mind to call the police for that tbh

keepingbees Wed 06-Dec-17 22:56:52

I don't think it's wasting anyone's time ringing the non emergency number and just logging your concerns.
I'm sure it's nothing but you're bound to feel vulnerable as you're alone. If your neighbour is still up maybe text or call to make them aware of it and ask them to keep their phone by them tonight?

mehhh Wed 06-Dec-17 23:27:09

I literally can not be in the house alone at night, we were robbed when I was young quite bad only once, but it's left a massive paranoia!

I find comfort in having lights on and all blinds / curtains closed x

Buddyelf Thu 07-Dec-17 17:48:59

Hi OP did you log it with the police? If you didn’t I would say give them a call. Where I live at the moment there is something going on where a woman is shouting through people’s letter boxes or knocking on doors saying she is in trouble. When the door is opened 2 people hiding near by are then running in through the open doors and robbing people. Could be a similar scam in which case it would help if you logged it in case it’s happening a lot in your area.
Also just wanted to say I hate being on my own in the house, my DH was also away last night with work. I leave lots of lights on and the tele on!

MrsBonato Thu 07-Dec-17 20:22:53

Thanks buddyelf, I did log it. I also spoke to the neighbour and she had the same, thought it was odd so called to log also.

I didn't sleep much last night hearing noises and worrying but thankfully tonight a friend has come to stay and tomorrow my DH will be home.

Atalune Thu 07-Dec-17 21:05:27

Well I am glad you found a bit of a solution last night and tonight.

Stay safe. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now