Talk

Advanced search

Should I help my SiL?

(7 Posts)
expatparent Thu 30-Nov-17 20:10:20

I hardly know my sister in law but from what I do she seems a good, hardworking woman who had a full time job and three kids. She's had a rough year, being made redundant in a nasty way. When this happened I suggested to my DH that I might be able to help with advice (I have some experience in labour rights). I was very firmly rebuffed, by him. Move forward a few months and I have had an email from her asking for help with writing a CV and finding work. She implies it is at my DH's suggestion. He has said nothing (but we are both travelling for work). So, first I was told to steer clear but am now being asked to help. What do I do?

killerwhale Thu 30-Nov-17 20:11:51

Surely you could ask him if that is what he suggested and then help her, or help her anyway if you want to.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Fri 01-Dec-17 15:08:27

She's emailed you asking for help.

Whether you do or not is up to you, but seeing as you've previously offered, I'm confused why you're questioning it... bugger all to do with your DH either way.

Dancinggoat Sat 02-Dec-17 03:03:34

Why would helping someone with their CV or giving them advice be a problem. I'm finding this a bit odd.
Would this be a good chance to get to know her.

notangelinajolie Sat 02-Dec-17 03:14:35

Help her. It's not for your DH to decide.

StarWarsFanatic Sat 02-Dec-17 03:39:33

If you want to help her then go for it. Don't know why your OH said no in the first place but I would be cool with it. Plus you may get to know her better smile

rockcakesrock Sat 02-Dec-17 09:17:43

Possibly, he said that because he did not want to appear pushy or to offer advice when it might not be wanted. Subsequently conversations with her or his Brother, have led him to believe that the advice would not be unwelcome.

If he is anything like my DP he did not say anything to you because he forgot all about it. I get told loads of stuff by my 3 adult children. Usually they are, surprised I did not know, as they had told dad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: