Talk

Advanced search

Trip to Aus without Toddler

(5 Posts)
TooFew Tue 28-Nov-17 09:49:28

I've been offered a job in Australia and part of the offer is a pre-move trip for 1wk (including travel time)

My partner and I want to use the opportunity to get to know the city (he's never been) and investigate different areas to live/nurseries etc

He doesn't think we should take our DD because the time differnce would make it hard to make the most of the trip. His mum has offered to move in for the week so that she can keep her routine and go to nursery still. Sounds reasonable.

I just can't help but feel guilty for going without her and she's part of the experience so feel like she should be there. He doesn't agree. So....WWYD?

PastaOfMuppets Tue 28-Nov-17 10:10:55

Depends on what you want to do - it's a long trip there and back just for a week. Kids cope with things but you might get a bit worn out.

Completely unrelated note, in Australia a 'nursery' is a baby's bedroom, the room in a hospital where newborns are all kept, or a plant shop. You might need to use a different word, eg daycare, crèche, depending on where you'll be.

Also it'll be nice and warm here. Have a nice trip smile

EchidnasPhone Tue 28-Nov-17 10:14:36

I wouldn't take dd. When we've taken the children under 3 it generally takes 2 days of grumpy tiredness & falling asleep all over the place & not sleeping at night. I at least have family to help & no where to go but you're going to need to be quite focused to make the most of this research trip.

TooFew Tue 28-Nov-17 18:07:17

Thanks both...makes me feel better hearing logical responses. And yes pasta there are a ton of terms I need to relearn. Luckily have an office full of people that will keep right smile

Pythonesque Thu 07-Dec-17 10:30:05

That trip for just 1 week is a killer, definitely don't take the child. I would suggest you try to extend it to 10-14 days if you possibly can - you will be shattered for the first couple of days at least. 1 week including travelling time? That leaves you with perhaps 2 or 3 days to look around in, travel time is 24 hours each end more or less (assuming major city). The other thing, if the trip is now/ next 3 months, it will be pretty hot which also slows you down. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now