Talk

Advanced search

DD's height

(10 Posts)
Popcicle123 Thu 09-Nov-17 20:53:17

My DD age 8 is very very small for her age. She was a prem baby but I’m only 5ft so don’t think she would have been tall anyway. She is becoming very self conscious about her height & is getting really upset about being the smallest in her year. A few kids at school have mentioned her height but to be honest I don’t think they are being mean, just passing comment about her being small. I’ve tried to say all the usual parent things like size doesn’t matter, it’s what’s inside that counts but it still upsets her. The school are aware & are keeping an eye on the situation. Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice please?

BackforGood Thu 09-Nov-17 23:03:44

Give her ideas of what to say, if people do comment.... ready made responses along the lines of "Best things come in small packages" / "Everyone stops growing once they reach perfection, some of us just got there earlier than others" or whatever works for you.

ineedamoreadultieradult Thu 09-Nov-17 23:12:57

My DS age 7 is small for his age he always has been he is on the 2nd centile for height. It used to bother him until he found out he is a fast runner even against his more average sized peers. He put his speed to good use playing rugby for a local team and now if anyone says he is small he says 'yes I am but I'm also a rugby player's.

Does she have a hobby etc or can she find one so it's not just her size that defines her.

MistressDeeCee Thu 09-Nov-17 23:35:40

DD1 is aged 23 now and is only 5ft. All I can say is, the school years are hard. You have to boost them but there'll still be days when they're miserable about being small. I do remember a few times when DD hit early teens saying to her 'In a few years my girl you'll realise your height really does not matter'. & I was right - it doesn't. As you know🙂

MerryMarigold Thu 09-Nov-17 23:39:37

My dd is just past 9, but she's also v small, all over. She doesn't seem to mind too much. Both her best friends, the top of dd's head touches their shoulders! Just keep encouraging her that everyone is different shapes and sizes and that people will/ do love her for who she is and not what she looks like. Anyone teasing about height has their own issues.

MerryMarigold Thu 09-Nov-17 23:40:44

Meant to say she wears 7-8 clothes but some clothes (leggings, shirts, t shirts) are 5-6!

BillywigSting Thu 09-Nov-17 23:45:50

I'm only 4ft 8 and my mum is maybe an inch taller than me.

Lots of positive reinforcement that good things come in small packages.

It did annoy me quite a bit, I was never bullied for it but struggled in p.e quite a lot as I was slower/shorter/weaker than my peers.

That being said, if your doctor is keeping an eye on her, and they suggest growth hormone in the future, please please consider it.

My mum flat out refused for me and I do think she got that wrong. I am well below average height and i struggle with daily life sometimes. An extra couple of inches would have really made a difference.

TeenTimesTwo Sun 19-Nov-17 11:09:10

DD was prem with small genes, I'll be pleased if she gets to 5ft.
We talk up the advantages, e.g. always being in the front row for shows, whilst simultaneously helping her have a 'voice' so she isn't 'babied'.

Catalufa Sun 19-Nov-17 11:14:46

We have the opposite problem here - my DD age 10 is very tall for her age and gets lots of comments about it. I think she does feel self conscious.

I agree with finding ways to make it a good thing. Does your DD do gymnastics or ballet? It’s good to be small for them. Or if she went to a theatre class (PQA or similar) she’d be in demand for the parts where you need to look younger than you are. My DD was too long and lanky to be a good gymnast, but she’s now started playing netball so her height is an advantage.

calamityjam Sun 19-Nov-17 11:28:01

I am quite small. There are loads of advantages to being small. I was good at loads of sports especially gymnastics. Tell her she will love it when she's older. I can wear age 14-15 clothes and they are cheaper for a start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now