Talk

Advanced search

Inviting a random on a girls weekend away

(13 Posts)
AhhhhThatsBass Mon 06-Nov-17 16:25:10

One of my groups of friends is comprised of 4 girls. We've known each other for years and although we live in different parts of the world, we see each other regularly enough, meet up at Christmas in our home town. We go away for a long weekend occasionally also.
So this year we have a planned a weekend to Barcelona. Hotel and flights all paid for. One of the girls has been doing a huge amount of travelling for work of late to the extent that she has not seen her DH in about 2 weeks and is at breaking point. She asked the remaining 3 of us if we minded if she bailed. And of course we don't, it's completely understandable. She is certainly not the type of girl that would ask for or expect any money back (and definitely doesn't need the money).

Anyway, one of other 2 remaining girls has now asked if she can bring one of her "mummy friends" along. I have met her once and our other friend has never met her. I am not thrilled about her bringing someone random along on a weekend away.
I'm probably going to say that yes, it's fine, so as not to offend her as she offends quite easily but really I am not particularly happy about it. It changes the dynamic of the trip (from going away with 3 good friends initially, to two good friends to two good friends and one girl I have met once). Am I being completely -or even a bit- unreasonable here?

Gizlotsmum Mon 06-Nov-17 16:30:29

Do you all have your own rooms? Maybe she feels like a three could feel a bit awkward?

MorrisZapp Mon 06-Nov-17 16:31:55

Nah that's rubbish. I wouldn't be pleased, and would say so.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 06-Nov-17 16:34:48

You say you’ve met her once - did you like her?

In reality, she’s probably perfectly lovely & you’ll all have a great time. I do understand your reservations however, and do think it very cheeky of your friend to ask.

Herbcake Mon 06-Nov-17 16:37:47

Meh, I think now that the weekend has changed because the fourth friend can't make it, she may as well come. It will be different but it was going to be different anyway with only the three of you.

I can understand why you might not want to though and don't think it's unreasonable of you.

Papayamum Mon 06-Nov-17 16:39:00

I don't see what the problem is. You're all going to be there to enjoy Barcelona.

Are you always so cliquey?

Seems like a great opportunity to get to know someone.

AhhhhThatsBass Mon 06-Nov-17 19:12:37

We have 2 rooms so originally it was going to be 2 in each room. I suppose it'll still be like that now that the new girl is coming along.
It would never have been awkward with the 3 of us, we've all known each other for years.
The other lady was perfectly nice from what I recall.
But yes, Papayamum maybe we are being a little cliquey. The thing is, it's not about the other lady, it's more that I'm a bit annoyed at my friend.
I suppose it's just that I've been firing on all cylinders of late work wise, travelling a lot etc, and was really looking forward to a really chilled weekend with good friends and now there is an extra bit of effort required on my part with someone I don't know and I'm so tired, I quite fancied a weekend with minimal effort.
I'm probably overthinking it and it'll most likely be a lovely weekend.
I do still feel a bit put out though, although trying hard not to.

MorrisZapp Mon 06-Nov-17 19:14:45

What, choosing who you travel abroad with is cliquey? Don't be ridiculous. These are close friends with an established pattern. Not a clique.

DancesWithOtters Mon 06-Nov-17 19:36:41

I completely see where you're coming from OP.

Gizlotsmum Tue 07-Nov-17 16:22:57

So would she have been in a room on her own? I can see why she might want company in that case

AhhhhThatsBass Mon 13-Nov-17 14:28:03

I'd have been sharing with her but now that her friend is coming, I'll share with our other friend. But I'm just about over it now, it is what it is and I'm looking forward to the trip.
I'm glad some people don't think I was completely unreasonable though.
Thanks for all the responses.

ParadiseCity Mon 13-Nov-17 14:30:52

I know that sinking feeling of having to make an extra effort. But I reckon your friend has good taste and you will get on with the randomer. Any friend of a friend is a friend of mine until/unless proven otherwise....

poooooooop Mon 13-Nov-17 14:31:21

Stop calling them girls! Unless you’re all under 18??

As women I am sure you will all all get on and have a lovely time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now