Talk

Advanced search

Arghhh missed friends daughters special day!

(9 Posts)
Gallymum1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:37:46

So I am feeling bad right now as I managed to miss a friends important family event. She’s my neighbour so we are not mega close but are quite good pals. She’d sent myself and another neighbour (who also forgot) a text message asking if we could make the date ages ago and we both said yes. Then today was the day, I had it in my mind it was coming up but just didn’t connect today’s date with the event and merrily went about my day. Only found out when she text me to check I had the details. By which time I was at my sons sporting event miles away and could not have got back in time. I text and apologised profusely and tried to explain but it’s all just a bit rubbish of me and I feel awful. The day was important to them and I let her down. What’s would you do to make amends?

Iamagreyhoundhearmeroar Sun 05-Nov-17 18:40:16

Would you have missed your own child's event for it if you'd remembered?

Gallymum1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:42:35

Yes I would have done. But if I’d actually had my brain switched on I might have told her at the outset I couldn’t go as I’d miss my sons event. But it was so far ahead my brain didn’t engage and connect the dates.

CherieBabySpliffUp Sun 05-Nov-17 18:45:52

I'm not sure what you can do to make it up to them without knowing more details like age of daughter and what type of event

Gallymum1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:46:29

Birthday and christening......on the same day 😢

BenLui Sun 05-Nov-17 18:48:07

Ouch!

Grovelling.

Flowers to the Mum. Lovely present for the child.

Lots and lots of grovelling.

Gallymum1 Sun 05-Nov-17 18:49:00

I know right. It’s not like me to forget. I think I’m actually losing the plot

Iamahppy Sun 05-Nov-17 18:57:01

I've had this happen to me - organised an event invited people and then have them forget or come up with an obvious excuse on the day. I was angry at first but then I think everyone is just so busy now and have learned my lesson - I now send a reminder a week in advance and a final polite - could anyone let me know if they can't attend, the day before.

My advice is as a pp said - apologise bring a gift then lay low to give them time to get over it.

Secondly get a calendar or diary wink

PugwallsSummer Sun 05-Nov-17 21:00:31

Without wanting to make you feel worse, this happened to me. DD’s christening day, my DH’s brother & family (BIL, his wife, 4 children) and DHs sister & family (SIL, boyfriend, 3 children) didn’t turn up. BIL gave a piss-poor excuse that morning, SIL just didn’t show up (there were some family issues going on that didn’t involve us but did involve other members of DHs family who did attend).

I was fuming. Apart from feeling disappointed for DD (and DH), I had also catered for them all on a cost-per-head basis so I lost out financially too.

To this day, the thing that still pisses me off is that neither of them bothered to even send a card.

I think if you pop round with a beautiful card and a thoughtful gift and sincerely apologize, she will get over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now