Talk

Advanced search

Chickens

(18 Posts)
DaisyRaine90 Sun 29-Oct-17 08:33:55

I really want to keep chickens but DP says I’ll have to deal with them as the smell bothers him. We have space.

How time consuming is it?

Should I just quit on my dream of fresh eggs and a smidge of the good life, or put my foot down and my wellies on?

WWYD?

Santawontbelong Sun 29-Oct-17 16:50:41

Foot down wellies on. ..
Not just lovely eggs, but a general sense of good mental well being..
Was for me anyway.

DaisyRaine90 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:19:54

Thanks. He says if I can get up early enough every day that I could deal with them then it’s ok 😊

DaisyRaine90 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:20:29

But he won’t deal with them at all they’ll be my responsibility because he thinks they stink 😂

steppemum Sun 29-Oct-17 17:27:20

we have chickens.

They need to be shut up at night, let out in morning, fed daily and cleaned out once a week.

BUT, we have built a fox proof run with the hen house in it. That means that while we CAN shut the hen house door at night, we can also leave it open (very small door) and they can self access the run form the house. That is really useful, so when we are on holiday etc, it just means someone can come in once a day and feed/check on them. It also means we don't have to be home at exctly dawn and dusk.

Ours do get to free range a part of our garden too, but we only let them out there if we are home all day, as there are foxes around.

One word of warning. I thought it was cockerels who made the noise. Chickens just go cluck cluck right? Wrong. Our chickens make an absolute racket in the morning, basically asking for attention, and to go out. When they see me open the back door they shut up!

Santawontbelong Sun 29-Oct-17 17:31:52

We had 12 and I managed the care without dh being involved. The dc helped when it suited. Can't say the smell was at all an issue. The positives well outweigh the smell!!
Google places that rescue factory hens. They rehome on certain dates only.
They regain their feathers and lay in no time. Rehabilitation by love +care is quick!!

Tika77 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:42:11

They won’t smell if you just have a few and clean regularly. Actually the cleaning is the key.
Don’t let them out even during the day without a dog/you guarding them, foxes attack at daytime.
Ex-batts are generally quiet, I don’t even know they exist.

SPARKS17 Sun 29-Oct-17 17:43:06

We have had chickens for the last 6 years they are brilliant and very low maintenance.

Like another OP you ideally need a house in a fox proof run with enough space they can be in it all day. Then they get themselves up and put themselves to bed. We got ours from Omlet they are expensive but excellent and would certainly recommend.

I top up their food and water every other day, collect eggs once a day and clean them out every 1-2 weeks. DH does nothing!

bigsighall Sun 29-Oct-17 17:51:41

Easy and low maintenance. Lovely fresh eggs. Ours are right little characters too! We have an auto opener and closer on the hen house. Opens the door when the sun comes up, chickens put themselves to bed at dusk and the automatic thing closes the door at night.. easy peasey smile

DaisyRaine90 Sun 29-Oct-17 18:29:22

Thanks everyone. We will be getting chickens I think. Sounds like I could manage it. 😊 x

steppemum Sun 29-Oct-17 20:20:34

Just to say, if they sell the hen plus attached run as being for 6 chickens, assume it is for 3.
Or build a bigger fox run as an add on.
Too many chickens in too small a space smells. Our chickens don't usually smell as they have more space. (and are cleaned out properly)

DaisyRaine90 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:02:58

DP said “cant we get a hedgehog instead”

Men hmm

& he’s the one telling me we should buy a horse for DD for her birthday.

Surely it’s easier to muck out chickens than horses??

steppemum Sun 29-Oct-17 21:06:06

a horse is loads of work!! And you can't easily go away.
get a goos chicken set up and they can manage for 48 hours without anyone.

DaisyRaine90 Sun 29-Oct-17 21:26:44

I know 🙄

I’m anti the horse
He’s anti the chickens

I want rabbits
He wants a dog

We will probably end up with a hedgehog

Kimlek Mon 30-Oct-17 09:12:54

This has made me giggle! My DH was adamant about having chickens and I was definitely less keen, knowing it'd be me looking after them on a day to day basis. The kids were very keen. He built a huge enclosure and we got chickens. I LOVED them, such characters and very easy if you do the set up well. Gorgeous eggs. Everyone volunteers to check on them when you're on hols as they want lovely eggs! Really easy! Do it!

onlyconnect Mon 30-Oct-17 09:23:03

If you get chickens, you’ll get rats too.

Outlookmainlyfair Mon 30-Oct-17 09:30:30

Agree with PP who mentioned having an enclosed run so that you have more flexibility. That way they are almost no hassle. We designed the coop so that you can lift off the end and rake everything out with a few scoops so that is easy, now the compost is flower rocket fuel. We always get the chickens from the hen welfare trust so everyone benefits.

WineAndTiramisu Mon 30-Oct-17 18:06:29

I love having chickens, none at present as our house is being renovated, and the last one died of old age last year, but will be getting more when we move back in.

We had an automatic opener as well, easy to leave them for a few days of someone came and checked on them, the eggs are lovely, and they do have their own little personalities, go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now