Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Work...

(6 Posts)
resipsa Thu 26-Oct-17 16:36:43

I’m on the horns of a dilemma and would welcome some wise words. I’m 47, married, two daughters (2 and 6). I’ve been back at work as a solicitor for a year since my last stint of maternity leave finished. I work for a large firm, am pretty well paid for my 3 days a week, get good benefits and my boss is very flexible (for the likes of sickness, parents’ meetings, assemblies etc). I’ve been doing the same work for 25 years so am also pretty independent (left to get on in peace). The downside is I hate the job. It’s boring. I have to be up and in really early to ensure I’m back home to pick up the children. I had to move teams on my return because the work I used to do just wasn’t there anymore. I don’t feel part of the new team because I’m older than the rest of them and only in 2 or 3 days a week. I just feel that I’ve had enough of it but am reluctant to give up the good bits voluntarily as gaining the same level of trust elsewhere would take effort and years (not to mention the pay, benefits and flexibility). We could live without my pay but it’d be different.
WWYD? Suck it up for now while the flexibility is so important then look at something new in 5 years or so OR jack it it now and try to be happier at work elsewhere on the basis that it’s not all about the money...?

twotired Thu 26-Oct-17 16:39:02

I'd search for more happiness if you aren't dependant on the money.

Life is so short, if you have an option then I personally wouldn't spend my time working somewhere I didn't enjoy.

You'd need to be prepared for a lower level of flexibility potentially, though.

MrsExpo Sun 29-Oct-17 12:06:14

I think I would look around for something else. If you can afford to live without your money, then you can afford to live with you on a reduced wage, but feeling a lot happier. I've been in jobs myself which I loathed and its miserable. Take your time, but start looking. Good luck.

mckenzie Sun 29-Oct-17 12:13:28

I would speak to the current employer first. They might be happy to offer you a different role instead of losing you.
Look elsewhere too but don’t rule out your current employer.
And when you go to any interview, Maybe try to be confident and state your needs with reasons why you will be able to give them so much more if the flexibility is a two way street.
Good luck.

jelliebelly Sun 29-Oct-17 13:20:06

The flexibility you describe is nigh on impossible to get with a new employer. The current place doesn't sound that bad but if it is making you miserable then no harm in looking around elsewhere to see what's about.

whiteroseredrose Tue 31-Oct-17 06:18:12

Bear in mind that you might swap boring for stress and anxiety!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now