Advanced search

Potential new job?

(8 Posts)
CupcakeBabaPoo Wed 25-Oct-17 22:23:11

I had a job interview today. I find out tomorrow whether it’s a yay or a nay. If it’s a nay, easy peasy, decision made for me BUT what if I actually get it?? confused So MNetters what would you do? Job A or job B? I have a 6 year old but I am a LP.

A - been in this nearly 3 years now. Supportive boss (I’ve had a difficult couple of years), flexible working, work from home, laid back, salary £25k-£29k, 25 minute commute. Sounds great but I looked elsewhere after feeling that nothing was going to be done about some serious concerns I raised. They are now being dealt with though.

B - similar field, potentially not as laid back/flexible, salary £30k-£40k, one hour commute. I don’t know if I would lose my continuous service either as it’s still local authority.

So WWYD please as I am such an indecisive person? smile It may all be irrelevant anyway!

StealthPolarBear Wed 25-Oct-17 22:24:51

Any potential for salary increase where you are
It's a tough one

CupcakeBabaPoo Wed 25-Oct-17 22:28:53

Thanks Stealth - glad it’s not just me that thinks it tough.

No chance of a salary increase where I am as I’ve just had a pay rise.

I can’t even decide what to wear most days let alone possibly make important decisions!

Oly5 Wed 25-Oct-17 22:31:03

I’d choose A with a child your age. Flexibility is worth it.
Is there flexibility in the new job?

CupcakeBabaPoo Wed 25-Oct-17 22:33:30

They did mention flexible working but I don’t know when the right time to ask about that would be. I am so rubbish at this. Part of me really hopes I don’t even get it as then I don’t have to make a decision confused

I agree though, flexibility is so important.

antimatter Wed 25-Oct-17 22:39:06

How much more would you commute be? How much more would your childcare cost be per year (after/before school + summer clubs)?

CupcakeBabaPoo Wed 25-Oct-17 22:45:22

I worked it out that initially I would have the same amount of disposable income as I do now. I would lose most of my tax credits (taken into account in above) so every other incremental rise would be ‘profit’, rather than where I am now where a pay rise would just decrease tax credits so I would never be better off.

travailtotravel Wed 25-Oct-17 22:51:19

If it's L.A. I would stick with A, esp if you have continuous service. I'm not saying don't move at all but flex and security are really important right now. Keep the security against future cuts. I went through a meh phase a while ago and stayed put. In the end it was enough for me to know I could get another job if I wanted to its iyswim

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: