Talk

Advanced search

When to keep off school?

(10 Posts)
GerrytheBerry Mon 23-Oct-17 18:01:56

Ds1 is in reception they finish on Friday for a week
All weekend he's been off, hardly eaten, been really tired not himself and has a cough. Intermittently has a temp
Took him today and told teacher and she said they'd ring if he wasn't well. Picked him up and he's the same, he's just flaked out on the floor atm.
We have a holiday booked next week and it's on my mind if he doesn't get over it soon he's likely going to be poorly for then and we will be out in the sticks away from home with no doctors nearby.
Do I ;
a - send him as normal
b - take him docs in morning and send him after if doc says all is well
c - just keep him off and let him rest?

He's had no time off at all since starting so bit frustrating we are so close to the end so I'm unsure am I being soft?

grasspigeons Mon 23-Oct-17 18:05:22

To me that sounds ill - I would want to rest if I was off my food and had an intermittent temperature. Give him a day off. I don't see that a doctor needs to be involved.

Ploppie4 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:06:30

He’s got a temp. Why would you send him in?

welshweasel Mon 23-Oct-17 18:08:30

If he's got a temperature tomorrow morning then I'd keep him off. Can't see that a trip to the doctors is going to help. Early night and he may feel better in the morning.

Ploppie4 Mon 23-Oct-17 18:10:02

If you couldn’t eat and had a temp off and on and prefered to be flaked out horizontal, where would you rather be? At work labouring away or under a blanket on the sofa resting?

Why would you need to see a GP? Hes just got some bug that’s going round. He only needs to see the GP if he seems seriously ill

GerrytheBerry Mon 23-Oct-17 18:43:46

Sorry I did say he had an intermittent temp, he was warm when he woke up this morning but by the time he'd got washed and dressed it had come down to normal. Wouldn't have taken him otherwise. To be honest our school is brutal about absence and I took him this morning fully expecting permission to take him home again!

GerrytheBerry Mon 23-Oct-17 18:45:09

And again ploppie, I was only thinking a trip to docs to rule out chest infection. I'm not totally clueless.

gamerwidow Mon 23-Oct-17 19:14:30

See how he is tomorrow. If he is alert and has an appetite send him in. If he is floppy and listless and won’t touch breakfast keep him home.

ihatethecold Mon 23-Oct-17 19:31:55

If he’s in reception class surely he doesn’t legally have to be in school yet?
If it was my child they would be home resting and getting better.

GerrytheBerry Mon 23-Oct-17 20:13:29

Yes I will definitely judge him on the morning, thanks, I just wanted confirmation I wasn't being over fussy!
Although I said when putting him to bed, I think you might need a day of rest tomorrow, and he say, I don't want to rest! So maybe he's on the up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now