Talk

Advanced search

Stay at Uni or go back next year?

(8 Posts)
ReinettePompadour Mon 23-Oct-17 15:00:05

I started at University in September. Its been really great, I love it.

Unfortunately I was in a car accident a few weeks ago and my car was damaged beyond repair and has been written off.

I missed a week of lectures and tutorials due to my injuries and have struggled to get in every day since due to only sharing 1 car with my DH. The courtesy car was only for 2 weeks and has been returned but the cost of a replacement car is far more than my insurance has paid out due to the age (20 yrs old) of my lovely car. I'm getting behind at University and only just scraped through with my assignment grade last week. I'm not fully concentrating on my studies because I'm so worried about everything else.

I'm not earning so cant afford to buy another car just yet, I have applied for dozens of part time jobs to try and rectify this. With only 1 car, dropping DH at work at 5am then taking children to school, then off to University, back to collect children and DH I'm finding it too much. We live rurally too so public transport is non existent and DH hasn't been able to get a lift as his team all live in the opposite direction.

Should I just finish University and go back next year (my personal tutor thinks its a possibility) or should I carry on? Inlaws are elderly and don't drive so they're no help on the childcare front, my parents still work full time the other end of the country, no one has any spare money and our mortgage is already at the maximum they will loan us.

Unfortunately a rather large inheritance turned out to be imaginary (all the bank accounts were empty, jewellery all missing and the holiday home had been sold 10 years ago all of which we were left in the will).

So basically what would you do? I think I know really but still... sad

QuestionableMouse Mon 23-Oct-17 15:03:24

What's going to change between this year and the next to let you find the money?

I'd talk seriously to the uni before I decided anything. Keep an eye out for a cheap car or see if your local area has a car club.

ReinettePompadour Mon 23-Oct-17 15:04:38

I will be able to get full time work and save up to buy a car. Things I cant do at the moment.

prettypaws Mon 23-Oct-17 15:20:41

What year are you in? Can't you get online lecture notes or copies from your lecturers? dropping the odd lecture might reduce the rush enough to make it manageable. Is there a bus or train you can drop your dh at? Hire a car, or get something cheap with the insurance money? We're a no car household so manage a combination of lifts, taxis, buses etc. I know others who cycle X miles to get a train and it works well, obviously no use it you're 20 miles away though.
Could you do an after school childcare swap or use afterschool clubs?

I'm not sure how adding in another part time job next year would make things easier, surely despite having another car that would still take up more time than dropping your dh at work as you are now.

ReinettePompadour Mon 23-Oct-17 15:31:23

I'm not sure how adding in another part time job next year would make things easier, surely despite having another car that would still take up more time than dropping your dh at work as you are now.

We've looked at everything. We genuinely are stuck.

I would drop University this year altogether and get a full time job to save up for a car. If I'm working I could pay for after school care, I cant afford that at the moment hence my racing around trying to drop everyone off and pick everyone up at the end of the school day.

I'm in my first year doing Biology. Obviously a heavily practical subject hence me struggling to keep up.

twotired Mon 23-Oct-17 15:36:02

I'd be tempted to stay and put up with the rush and struggle through, but only because I know how life can get in the way and doubt that once I left I would go back.

That's just me though.

Are there any evening jobs you can realistically pick up? I will be starting uni next year and currently work evenings in a bar. Plan is to continue (more so because both DC are under school age).

prettypaws Mon 23-Oct-17 17:07:09

I see your difficulty with it being a more practical subject.

Like pp I wouldn't be sure i'd go back as there's always something in the way. I'm struggling studying in my 30s, every year life seems to get busier and I'm feeling panicked about time. If i were in my 20s and had a full time job to go to for a year then i might. Only if I'd definitely be able to go back and if it'd benefit my grades though.

glovesonstrings Mon 23-Oct-17 18:32:23

How will it work with tuition loan if you have one?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now