Talk

Advanced search

WWYD: Piercing 3 year olds ears?

(57 Posts)
tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 19:23:21

Dd(3) is insisting she wants her ears pierced.
I have 3 older children who already have there ears pierced and have never had an age rule, just done it when they have asked but they have all been 8+. DD’s fathers said he’s not going to take her but I can and basically left me to make the decision.
WWYD? Let her now or make her wait?
Anyone have any positive or negative stories about piercing their kids ears young?

SuburbanRhonda Sun 22-Oct-17 19:24:01

1/10

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 19:24:20

0/10

tissuesosoft Sun 22-Oct-17 19:25:03

Why would you want to subject your child to pain for vanity reasons?

Santawontbelong Sun 22-Oct-17 19:25:20

Dd 1+2 were 7+8 when I took them. Old enough to put the cleaner on themselves (under supervision) and understood it would hurt!!

WillowWeeping Sun 22-Oct-17 19:26:56

3 is too young- it's horrid

Katescurios Sun 22-Oct-17 19:27:14

No,I don't have a specific age but my rule is that she can have them when she can take care of them herself. I anticipate that being at about 7 or 8 yrs old.

BenLui Sun 22-Oct-17 19:27:23

If you don’t want to take her, just say she has to wait until she’s 8 yo (or whenever).

You’re her Mum. You’re allowed to say “no”.

Caulk Sun 22-Oct-17 19:28:40

Surely in this situation you just say no, that she isn’t old enough...

littlechou Sun 22-Oct-17 19:28:45

3 year olds don’t get to insist grin
Just say no if you don’t want them done. Tell her she has to wait til she’s 8 like her sisters

Ttbb Sun 22-Oct-17 19:28:49

I wouldn't take her until she was old enough to take care of it herself no matter how much she asks you. Last thing you want is to sit with the head of screaming toddler wedged between your knees while you are trying to pull out an warning that the flesh has grown around d because she wouldn't let you spray and twist the earrings like you were supposed to ultimately resulting in s trip to hospital to remove them. Not that I was ever that child blush.

Kragghooooooullllll Sun 22-Oct-17 19:29:08

You're the grown up, tell her no and that she has to wait until she's a similar age that her siblings were when they got their ears pierced.

Santawontbelong Sun 22-Oct-17 19:29:29

My dd had stick on ones at 3!!

Laceup Sun 22-Oct-17 19:33:09

What what.....no ....I had mine done done at 12. They got the butterfly stuck inside the hole as it pierced the ear..I had 2 young girls with needles trying to poke it through...lord no..I dontt know how it's legal on children under 10 or so.

Ecureuil Sun 22-Oct-17 19:33:40

My nearly 4 year old doesn’t even know what ear piercing is!
I wouldn’t do it though. I was allowed mine done when I was able to clean/look after them myself. I think i was 9. I wore earrings for about 6 months and haven’t worn them since.

FullMoonAndSpooky Sun 22-Oct-17 19:35:45

A 3 year old insisting grin
Yeah alright

hidengosqueak Sun 22-Oct-17 19:35:59

She’s 3 ! Just tell her she’s a fairy and let her practise wand waving ! See totally sorted because she’s 3 !

Curiositykilledthecat113 Sun 22-Oct-17 19:37:41

I had it done at that age OP and I’ve never regretted it or thought badly of my parents for it. I decided it for myself at 3 and if your child is able to choose for themself, go ahead!

Also yes I remember it being done and it did hurt, but I had it done at a tattoo/piercing parlour rather than Claire’s and the piercer was good and it was quick.

KissesAX Sun 22-Oct-17 19:39:29

I'll be the odd opinion and say take her if she wants it.

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 19:40:24

@SuburbanRhonda and @Wolfiefan

What does that mean?

@tissuesosoft

I dont want to do it, no way would I make any of my DC have their ears pierced if they didnt want to. She wants them pierced.

@Santawontbelong

Hmmm, she does knows it will hurt and I'm happy to clean them. But maybe I should try and prolong it for as long as possible?

@WillowWeeping

But lots of people do it when they are babys without their kids saying they want it? What age is it no longer 'horrid'?

@Katescurios

Yes, I am thinking maybe I should try and prolong it but dont think at the moment we would get that far!

@BenLui

I know I can say no, But I dont really know if I mind or not yet. Thats why I'm asking others opinions.

@Caulk

I can say no but I'm not sure if she might be old enough. Obviously if i was really against it I just wouldnt take her but I've never really thought about it untill know as my other children hadnt asked untill 8+.

@littlechou

Its not that I dont want them done, I just dont know if shes old enough. But they didnt have to wait untill 8, thats just when they happened to ask, I took them as soon as they said they wanted to.

tempstamos Sun 22-Oct-17 19:58:36

@Ttbb

That is my worry but how old is old enough to take care of them. Her big sister got them done for her 8th birthday because that is when she asked but I still did they cleaning and twisting. (Not that she wasnt old enough to do it in theory, I just wanted to make sure it was done properly)

@Kragghooooooullllll

But her siblings didnt have to wait, and its not that I dont want her to, I'm just not sure.

@Santawontbelong

We have tried stick on ones.

@Laceup

But could of just as easily happened if you were 56 and would be much less likely to happen now if i took her to a proper place.

@Ecureuil

She does have older siblings which is how she knows.

@FullMoonAndSpooky

Yes, insisting she wants to get them done. I didnt say she was insisting shes getting them done.

@hidengosqueak

What age would you say is the minimum then?

@Curiositykilledthecat113 and @KissesAX

Thanks, A bug part of me definately thinks that also, but it most seem to be saying no.

Wallywobbles Sun 22-Oct-17 19:58:48

My rule was 11. Non negotiable. I don’t understand why you are making this is a big deal. Just say not until after 8.

Wolfiefan Sun 22-Oct-17 20:02:18

It means that there are millions of threads on here about ear piercing. You must know most people here believe that piercing the ears of a young child is unwarranted.
You decide if and when you think it's appropriate. You be the parent.

Laceup Sun 22-Oct-17 20:06:32

You know this is a fantastic example of why humans are designed to stay with their children and actually raise them,deciding what is right or wrong for them...rather than a harp seal that abandons its young at 3 weeks as it thinks they will be fine alone ,and know best.3 yr olds don't know best,that's why they have parents to make decisions,unlike a snake that also abandons its young,this time before they are even hatched would you belive it....what a shame there is no social services in the adult kingdom

Laceup Sun 22-Oct-17 20:06:53

Animal kingdom even😳

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now