Advanced search

If you didn't get along with your mum but had to live with her with your child

(4 Posts)
Mummabear16 Tue 17-Oct-17 18:39:34

Hi all, im currently living at home with my toddler. I've been waiting on a council home for what feels like a lifetime now. We are close to getting a house it's just not happened for us yet. I'm living with my mum in the meantime who has a negative opinion on everything, shes asked me to leave, shes mentally unwell I actually think she is bipolar - she sleeps until the afternoon due to her health issues, she has social anxiety so never leaves the house. Everything is done for her. She's a hoarder. My toddler and i are currently sharing a room and a bed. He has no where to play or to keep his toys leaving us both so frustrated. I was going to go to the homeless tomorrow but im afraid to leave her.

I jusr don't know what to do any more I'm stuck in a rut. I'm very unhappy.

Child's dad isn't involved at all so no support from him.

Thanks for your replies xx

PersianCatLady Wed 18-Oct-17 03:00:55

It is your mother's home so you need to be respectful of her even if you don't agree with her lifestyle.

I think you should go homeless and ask for social services support for your Mum.

GirlInASwirl Wed 18-Oct-17 03:19:58

I was concerned reading your post OP. My Mum has a mental health condition and I would rather access support services than move back in with her. I feel overloaded after a while in her presence and she has never accessed help for herself and is in denial of her condition.

I agree with Persian that you should approach housing services again. Go in 'full drama' suggest that you are struggling because you are caring for your Mum (who has a mental health condition). You are finding it hard/ gruelling for yourself and your toddler. The accommodation is not suitable as it is too small. And any other (real reason) to flesh out the story.

I would also consider how many hours you are doing caring duties - housework/shopping/cooking etc for her. You could be entitled to carer's allowance for the support of someone with mental challenges. The money could be used for immediate needs and to go towards future re-housing costs.

Good Luck

safariboot Thu 19-Oct-17 00:02:04

Do you think she's of sound mind asking you to leave?

Has she actually been diagnosed with any mental illness? If not, is she willing to see the doctor about it? (If she's previously had dealings with NHS mental health, she probably won't want to.)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: