Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

HG consequences for baby

(9 Posts)
Misstomrs Tue 17-Oct-17 10:26:35

I've posted before about the consequences for me of a difficult delivery and I'm currently waiting on some surgery. As my son gets older - and so do I! - my thoughts are increasingly turning to whether DH and I will try for another child. As I had horrendous HG last time I was pregnant - and no one looking after me seemed to know much about it - I have tried to do some reading around it. I found this article:

http://www.oatext.com/Long-term-health-effects-in-children-exposed-in-utero-to-hyperemesis-gravidarum.php

Having read this I feel really cross that my son's lactose intolerance / allergy (they change their minds on the classifications as his reaction is so severe) took 5 months to be identified as he was 2.5 times more likely to suffer from it. I'm also really cross that I didn't get more support with nutrition when I was pregnant given the implications. I lost two stone and they kept scanning me because they couldn't believe I wasn't having twins given how sick I was.

AIBU to be so cross and to be worried about the care we might get next time? I've got a consultant appointment next week and already have a list of questions / demands (planned c-section, anti-emetics from the point of pregnancy being identified, NO trainee of any description of any kind being involved in my care) but what on earth do I ask for in light if this? Help!

Mustang27 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:45:58

We have a great hg support thread. So sorry you suffered. I’m on my second now and definitely equally as poorly as the first. Drips strong anti emetics and lots of hospital visits.

I’d recommend you chat to the ladies on the thread they are so knowledgable and sympathetic when of the rest of the world roll their eyes and tell you to get on with it whilst offering you a gingernut hmm.

Mustang27 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:47:22

Hyperemesis Support
http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3030649-Hyperemesis-Supporthttp://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/pregnancy/3030649-Hyperemesis-Support

Mustang27 Tue 17-Oct-17 10:49:13

I hadn’t even considered that hg was a reason for some of my sons early issues due to always being reassured the placenta isn’t affected. Il read your link but I have to admit I’m a bit afraid now. I’d always just assumed baby was good and I was the one suffering, seems gullible now.

Misstomrs Tue 17-Oct-17 10:49:21

Thanks Mustang27, really appreciate your help. Will check out the thread

Misstomrs Tue 17-Oct-17 10:50:51

Oh no! I was worried that posting it would frighten people. It was more for education. And to help people know what to look out for. I wish I'd known about the lactose thing and also the ear infections.

reallybadidea Tue 17-Oct-17 11:11:47

I think it's a bit unfair to be cross about your son's treatment based on that article. It was only published last year and they say themselves that there isn't a huge amount of data on outcomes for children born to mothers with HG. And lots of children experience allergies whose mothers didn't have HG. They may be totally unrelated in your son's case. It sounds as though you had a really tough time of it, but I think it's a bit unreasonable to infer that they were negligent based on one piece of research.

Mustang27 Tue 17-Oct-17 11:14:20

I read it it’s quite interesting. To small statistically to be massively convincing but on the allergy front it could totally make sense especially if you are restricting/struggling to get an intake of the obvious things that can be allergies.

I’m reassured though as iv not long had my wee ones 27 month hv assessment and he was performing tasks the average 4/5yr old may struggle to achieve. Not a stealth boast just reassured that hg hasn’t seemed to effect him negatively on the cognitive,height or growth side. I do honestly think that HG needs far more funding to be studied and taken seriously from
Basic care, mothers ante/prenatal mh and how it may/can effect your baby. There is so little out there on it, it’s just hard to deal with on so many fronts even the gp/drs dated understanding on prescribing anti emetics.

I can link your thread to the Hg one of you want. There are others on there in the boat of ttc/thinking about ttc so you won’t be alone in that front either.

Misstomrs Tue 17-Oct-17 11:17:31

That's really kind mustang, thank you.

I couldn't follow the link you posted for some reason so will do a search for it.

You're probably right reallybadidea. I think I'm jaded by how bad those 5 months were and the fact he currently has D&V which is reminding me about it all. Great name by the way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now