Talk

Advanced search

Gift for a friend who lost her mum and is now having a baby

(4 Posts)
Emh2012 Sat 14-Oct-17 19:18:10

A friend of mine lost her mum a few years ago and is now having a baby. I have made a blanket for her as a gift as my mum did for me when I had my babies but I don't know what to write as a message. Is there anyone who has been in her position who may be able to advise how to word a message sensitively. Is it wowrd to gift it on behalf of her mum!? Help!!!

PurpleDaisies Sat 14-Oct-17 19:24:06

I think it would be really odd to send it from her mum. How do you know her mum would have made her a blanket?

While I think you've got really lovely intentions but I'm not sure this is quite the right way to support your friend. I'd give the blanket as a present from you and try and meet to see if she wants to talk about not having her mum around.

abigailgabble Sun 15-Oct-17 10:46:08

oh please don’t do that. it’s a lovely gift so give it to her in a conventional way with a card from you and i’m sure she will be very touched. i don’t see why you would want to bring her mum, your mum or anything else beyond “congratulations on your lovely baby, wishing you all the best” into it.

TonicAndTonic Mon 16-Oct-17 11:47:26

I'd give the blanket as a present from you and try and meet to see if she wants to talk about not having her mum around.

^ Do this. The handmade blanket gift tradition in your family is really lovely but it's your family tradition not hers, so don't label it as being from her mum! I'm currently pg for the first time and lost my mum several years ago, I wouldn't want my friends giving me gifts as if they were from my mum beyond the grave.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now