Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

DH work van can't take two car seats

(32 Posts)
KiaraS Fri 13-Oct-17 14:01:34

Some advice please. DH has a Nissan prima star van as he has his own business that requires machinery. We have recently had our 2nd child. And he is going to have them both one day in the week when I go back to work.
We can't see any way to get two car seats into the front seat which is a bench seat. He says that there is no van on the market that can take two car seats in the front next to the driver. I'm not convinced but am up to my eyes in new baby plus toddler.
Do I allow him to buy an additional car which we can ill afford? Does anyone have a van with two car seats in the front?
What would you do?
Thanks so much grin

BakerBear Fri 13-Oct-17 14:04:47

Do you have a car?

If so could you swap vehicles for the day?

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Fri 13-Oct-17 14:12:38

Most vans would need the second row in the back as normally the bench seat is snug.
You can buy the second row to go in vans to retro fit but then your looking at windows and it gets expensive.
But as the kids get older it might be the way forward.

Nothingrhymeswithfamily Fri 13-Oct-17 14:14:40

www.vanarack.com/store/nissan-primastar-van-rear-seat-conversion-kits/
But make sure they are safety tested and there's nothing that can fall on your wee one

Orangesox Fri 13-Oct-17 14:16:25

Does he desperately need transport on his one day - i.e do you live out in the sticks where there's no public transport? I don't think I'd be buying another car to be used one day a week on the off chance my husband wanted to take the kids out...

If it's non-negotiable and he needs a vehicle to transport the kids, then what about getting a crew cab van (i.e one with a second row of seats) in replacement for the primastar? Probably better value than buying a second car...

KiaraS Fri 13-Oct-17 20:51:25

Thanks for your input. Vans with a back row (second row) means that the machinery won't fit - it's very large. Was just wondering (hoping) that someone has a van with two car seats in the front that he hasn't researched as I'd be happier replacing the van than buying another car confused x

abigailgabble Sun 15-Oct-17 10:42:05

can’t you swap vehicles for the day? presumably he’s not working if he’s got the children. i was under the impression the front seat is the least safe place for a child to sit so for that reason alone i would discount them traveling in the van as an option.

Gizlotsmum Sun 15-Oct-17 10:44:48

Larger vans can do it (hubby occassionally borrows transits from work) but our two have only ever been in booster seats in them not sure a newborn seat would fit easily

forfuckssakenet Sun 15-Oct-17 11:30:39

It's staggering how many people on mn do not read the op

KiaraS Mon 16-Oct-17 09:04:09

Swapping cars for that one day sadly isn't an option due to me needing my car for work and client visits. He has to have transport as we live rurally.
Does anyone have a van with two child seats in the front? Thank you

Kirbs1979 Mon 16-Oct-17 09:10:13

I don't know the answer but do you have an in car safety centre near you, they might be able to advise which car seats would work of any http://incarsafetycentre.co.uk

sashh Mon 16-Oct-17 09:21:47

My neighbour has a transit and collects his grandchildren in it. But I don't know if I've seen both grandchildren at the same time. I know he collects the youngest and mum and they all seem to be strapped in.

(except when he lets him sit on his knee for the final 2ft of drive and to let him park).

Doe he really need the van with the kids? He's not going to be working with a toddler and baby in tow is he? It might involve some planning so you are stocked with food and nappies for his day.

pp2017 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:22:20

VW Crafter / Mercedes Sprinter (same van different badge) will fit two seats on the front bench seat

KiaraS Mon 16-Oct-17 13:33:20

Oooh thank you smile

pp2017 Mon 16-Oct-17 13:34:21

Welcome smile

NotMeNoNo Mon 16-Oct-17 13:34:30

We have a VW transporter, I'm trying to remember what we did. Is your older child in a booster or still in a full 5 point seat?

FruitBadger Mon 16-Oct-17 13:37:37

DH has a VW Crafter. DC2 not arrived yet but the Maxi Cosi Cabriofix and Axiss will fit next to each other in the van. I would prefer to have an ERF (as we do in the car) rather than the Axiss but that's a separate conversation.

RosyPony Mon 16-Oct-17 13:37:56

You can get a 6 seater VW transporter, the seats behind the driver and removable but will take a car seat.

Have you tried different car seats or just the ones you currently have? It may be a case of playing around with different seats if you don't want to buy a new van.

Or you could drive the van and leave your husband the car?

NotMeNoNo Mon 16-Oct-17 13:38:01

Also does he keep his gear in the van all the time? We have a 2nd row of seats now and it unclips quite easily to remove it, if you have somewhere to store it.

NotMeNoNo Mon 16-Oct-17 13:42:14

Also, we have a long wheelbase van so there is enough room in the back even with the back seats, might be something to think about. We do like the Transporter as you can take it in car parks etc.

Whitelisbon Mon 16-Oct-17 13:42:47

I have a transit tourneo, which is The same as a transit van.
I can easily get 2 seats in the front, have had various combinations of infant carrier, high back booster, and joie every stages.
I can fit both of the every stages in and they're pretty wide.

Gumbubble Mon 16-Oct-17 13:46:08

But couldn't you drive the van to meetings and client visits?

pp2017 Mon 16-Oct-17 16:00:17

That would depend what OP does for a living - some of my clients there’s no way I’d get a van on their car parks... I’m guessing she’s considered this before thinking about all the expense of buying another van 🙄

and maybe OP isn’t all that confident driving a van? I drive OHs all the time but I have friends who (when I’ve picked them up in it) have commented how they could never drive something that big.....

WhatHaveIFound Mon 16-Oct-17 16:04:50

We have a Mercedes Vito with two front seats and three in the second row. We did look at the VW Caddy Life (also 2 rows of seats but a smaller van) but couldn't fit 4 bikes in the back.

SheGotOffThePlane Mon 16-Oct-17 16:07:36

My dh has a Renault Master and it can easily accommodate two children's seats in the front beside the driver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now