Talk

Advanced search

Timed heating or constantly on?

(8 Posts)
Loopylind Tue 10-Oct-17 23:23:35

During the colder months I’ve always had my heating on a timer.

Is it more economical to have it
A) on a timer going on and off or
B) constantly on at a lower temperature?

Migraleve Tue 10-Oct-17 23:24:17

C) put it on as and when required

Stinkbomb Tue 10-Oct-17 23:25:13

A timer or putting it on when required is more efficient.

orangeowls Tue 10-Oct-17 23:25:16

I have mine constantly on, 21C at the times we are home and 17C when we aren’t and at night. I think it’s a more expensive way to do it but I hate being cold so it suits me smile

Loopylind Tue 10-Oct-17 23:58:54

Thanks
A friend has always sworn that on low constantly though the winter is less stress on the system as the boiler doesn’t have to restart from cold.

I’m thinking, as I have always done, timed.

RosyPony Wed 11-Oct-17 00:05:21

I think it depends on the age of the boiler to a degree.

Our thermostat is set so that if the room temperature drops below a certain level at certain times of the day it comes on. I think our thermostat also weather compensates and it's all connected to the WIFI and my husband, I just text him if I get cold! :D

IfYouGoDownToTheWoodsToday Wed 11-Oct-17 07:10:53

I do a) so I know it's warm when I get up. Can't stand it being on all night, such a waste imo.

But I will adjust the thermostat if I'm too hot/too cold so although it's on the timer I will switch it on/off if I want to!

abigailgabble Sun 15-Oct-17 10:49:48

apparently it’s do with how well insulated your house is. if it’s good, leave it on trickle, if it’s not, don’t bother because it will end up on full pelt all the time. i think that’s the right way round 🤔 our house is old and draughty so it’s on a timer for 21 but it’s also set to kick in anytime if it goes below i think 17 or something like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now