Advanced search

Name changes

(15 Posts)
Joannethomp Sat 07-Oct-17 08:12:47

Im looking at moment for answers my now x husband was arrested for child porn and I left him that day with our kids he has since been charged with it and put on the sex register for 10 years he dosnt see the kids as he moved away but he is refusing to change the kids surnames as I need to protect my kids what do i do

PotteringAlong Sat 07-Oct-17 08:21:46

Why do you need to change their surname to protect them? Because you're worried people will realise he is their dad? Unless your surname is massively uncommon it won't be an obvious link.

Mustang27 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:24:25

Change their names as in go with whatever you want for now then change it by deed poll when they are 16? It’s not against the law as far as I’m aware but I’m sure someone more in the know will come along to help.

I didn’t know I was something else on my birth certificate until I was 16 and applying for school type funding and my mum came clean. I think it cost me 55 to change it to what I was always known as.

I’m so sorry you are having to go through this I hope you have a good support network.

Joannethomp Sat 07-Oct-17 08:36:24

There surname is unusual it's the passports I need as we are going abroad and he is refusing to sign a letter to say they can go

Mustang27 Sat 07-Oct-17 08:46:46

I’d say seek legal advice. There must be something you can do. What a cretin of a man.

holdthewine Sat 07-Oct-17 09:20:28

Definitely seek legal advice (maybe start with CAB if £ is tight). Are you sure his being on the sex offenders’ register doesn’t affect his right to veto his children’s travel?

Joannethomp Sat 07-Oct-17 09:25:59

100000% sure he is got evidence I want to take kids on holiday I think they need a break I will take him to court if it came to it my kids are most important to me pity he didn't think about his kids when he did what he did

bettycat81 Sat 07-Oct-17 18:51:20

Do they already have passports in his name?

If you have residency of them in the child arrangement order from the divorce and are going away for less than 28 days you do not need his written permission.

Joannethomp Sat 07-Oct-17 19:29:05

The passports have run out but wanted to put them in my name

bettycat81 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:06:10

You can get a court order in some circumstances to give you permission to change their name so it's worth exploring. Good luck OP flowers

Joannethomp Sat 07-Oct-17 20:30:33

Thank you I will do that

AliCat36 Sat 07-Oct-17 20:45:05

You can apply to court & ask a judge to allow you to change their names because of the circumstances, to protect the children from being linked to him by their name. He'd have to be notified and could attend court to explain his point of view. Even If he wouldn't consent, the judge could grant permission if the judge believed that it is in the children's interests. You can make the application yourself easily without a solicitor. Form C100, you can get it online. Court fee is £215.

Joannethomp Sat 07-Oct-17 21:05:10

Thank you so much I'm going to do that I need to do it and my kids want to be my name

Joannethomp Sun 08-Oct-17 17:21:25

What do u think of my chances changing there names they are 8 and 11 they don't want anything to so with him he is on the register for 10 years and got 8 months suspended sentence for 18 months

AliCat36 Sun 08-Oct-17 18:51:27

If he's been in the paper & the children could be negatively affected by the link to his name, a judge might agree with you. It's the effect on them the judge will need to look at.You've got nothing to lose by trying - well, except the court fee! You can ask the school to let them be known by another surname in the meantime, see if they're willing to do that in the circumstances.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: