Talk

Advanced search

How can I thank my parents?

(9 Posts)
FrustrationStation Wed 04-Oct-17 20:41:53

I was just wondering what other people's thoughts were about what I could do to show my parents the appreciation they deserve...this is the back story...

DH and I were renting a crappy damp bungalow. We had a DC a year ago and Ive given up work for the time being. We really wanted to move out of said crappy damp bungalow but obviously couldn't afford much of a mortgage. So my parents put their house up for sale and put the money down as a deposit on a place where we can all live together. This way I get lots of help and childcare when I go back to work earlier than originally planned. The new house is wonderful and it is in a nice suburb. We could never have afforded such a house on our own, and the great thing is we'll be mortgage free in 10-15 years.

How on Earth do I thank them? I can't afford a big expensive gesture, but I want to do something. Any thoughts?

JenNtonic Thu 05-Oct-17 16:45:55

Awwww. Congratulations on your new home!
I read this and instantly thought something personalised, maybe a letter from all of you with painted handprints by the kids, or a printed out letter and photo, hand decorated and framed. Maybe a mounted "thank you" and a list of reasons why you're grateful etc. They sound wonderful :-)

JenNtonic Thu 05-Oct-17 16:48:38

Sorry, me again ! I just thought maybe you could ask them what they'd like the garden to be like and you could spend some time on that for them too.
And if you do get a gift, maybe present it after a home made 3 course dinner for them with candles etc a "restaurant experience" their favourite songs, like a date at home type thing ?? Xx

LittleMansMum2017 Thu 05-Oct-17 20:55:03

Just read this, what a lovely thing your parents have done smile

If it were me I would also do something personal to your parents.

FrustrationStation Sat 07-Oct-17 19:26:26

Yes I will have to do something like that, like a photo of us all together. I'd love to be able to send them on a relaxing holiday but can't afford it right now.

peanut2017 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:56:28

That's a lovely thing to do. What great parents you have.

Maybe a dinner out or in, flowers, chocolates, plant, nice flowers in garden, plant a tree if garden is big enough. Water feature in garden

Help decorate it if it needs painting etc

BackforGood Sat 07-Oct-17 20:48:55

You and your dh and 1 yr old are going to live in the same house as your parents ?
Hats off to you (and more so to your dh).
I suspect your thanks will come in the future when you look after them in exchange.

user1497997754 Thu 12-Oct-17 19:25:40

That is sooooo kind of them .....it will be lovely as you can all look out for each other....just make sure you abd hubby get some time together....my sister has a similar set up she and hubby have the bottom of the house and her daughter and her hubby and thier daughter have the top of the house....they each have thier own bathrooms and just share the kitchen.....it works really well....good luck

Urglewurgle Thu 12-Oct-17 19:33:58

What about a personalised house portrait?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now