Talk

Advanced search

annoying mother in law

(3 Posts)
bellaxoxo Tue 03-Oct-17 19:10:10

Hi mums. I am looking for some advice. My son is 14 months old, me and my OH have always wanted 2 children roughly 2/3 years apart. Anyway, my mother in law knows this and ever since my son has been born since day one she has done nothing but try and put me off having another, constantly hinting and saying how we should wait and we don't need to rush etc little comments like "you wait till he's walking" "you wait till he's about 2.." etc and I know her game when she says it all she's done it for 14 months, I distance myself from her now and she sees me once a week just to stop my son off and she stills throws in a comment trying to put me off and I'm so sick of it she tells me to make sure my sons bath isn't too hot, make sure he's wearing a coat, make sure he's drinking loads of water in this weather etc just common sense things she doesn't think I'm capable although I look after my son everyday she sees him once a week and gives him a kids microwave meal for tea instead of cooking him a proper dinner. If I say anything to her she turns it around onto me and falls out with us big time but she's super sensitive and has her own problems that have messed her up so she goes to councilling so she cries all day and night if you even say the slightest thing. How would you go about this? Thanks

JenNtonic Thu 05-Oct-17 11:46:02

Hi :-)
Wow she sounds like a total drama queen to be honest !
My MIL was similar with the comments and I just used to look at her dead in the eye and say "well, I haven't killed him yet, that's something" but I'm a sarcastic little so and so.
It sounds like you're doing a great job and I hope your partner/ husband is aware that this annoys you.
I'm not sticking up for her but maybe all of these little comments are her way of "caring"..... and if it's once a week I'd be inclined to suck it up.
In regards to your next baby, have him/her when you bloody want to !!!! Xx

Thinkingofausername1 Fri 13-Oct-17 17:09:43

Mother in laws think they are being helpful sometimes when they need to keep their mouth shut! Unfortunately, mine becomes victim if I stand up to any of her remarks. And I then end up having to apologise- Most recently I've just stopped interacting with them and let my dh do it.
Best thing to do is not discuss things where they can have input or interfere. Put some boundaries in wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now