Advanced search

Ds burns unit keep making me travel back and fourth

(17 Posts)
namechangedagainx Tue 03-Oct-17 08:10:58


I posted a thread a few weeks ago about burning my sons hand on my straighteners he crawled over and picked them up but they weren't cooled down on time.
His dad flipped out on me and locked me in his house there was other abuse.

However I've left the area now and staying with my mum. The hospital my sons dad took him to is in Sheffield and I'm staying with my mum in Birmingham.

I've told them I'm staying with my mum now but they said I have to go back there as they need to keep an eye on it. The burn is so small and has completely healed now but they want me to come back today for "physio" I can't see why he would need it.

It's a nightmare it's costing me £60 in petrol a week travelling every three days and then hospital parking is expensive £8 a time. I can't afford it. I'm absolutely skint this week!

It's takes up my whole day I will have to leave at 1 and won't be back until late at night. When I go I'm there for 10 minutes and then I have to do the long drive back again.

What would you do?

Username324 Tue 03-Oct-17 08:17:49

I’d register with a GP where you’re living now and tell
him the problems you’re having and see if he can get
your son's treatment nearer where you’re living.
Definitely don’t just stop taking your son for treatment
without seeing your local GP, OP.

drspouse Tue 03-Oct-17 08:18:48

Can you take him to the GP locally to your mum and get a referral to the local hospital?

Invisimamma Tue 03-Oct-17 08:18:54

You need to put your son first, the hospital will know what treatment he needs and you need to trust them.

On the expense issue, perhaps ask if there's any assistance available? It's only in the short term to ensure your son gets cared for.

namechangedagainx Tue 03-Oct-17 08:21:08

He is still registered down here at my mums so I could get him in today.
I just can't afford it anymore I've had bills bouncing and I'm overdrawn.
Ds dad hasn't paid his maintenance this month.

bruffin Tue 03-Oct-17 08:25:41

He needs physio to keep the scar supple. My dd burnt her hand on an iron and had a skin graft. We had to massage it and use play doh etc to make sure she used her hand.

FenellaMaxwellsPony Tue 03-Oct-17 08:25:48

The thing is, your son being burnt badly on your watch coupled with the issues between you and your ex is something that could potentially be a concern so I can see why the same treatment team would want to monitor during his recovery.

I know you feel bad, but it's important not to minimise the injuries to make yourself feel better - he may look "fine now" to you, but the overstretched NHS wouldn't provide a course of physio if it wasn't necessary so I think you really do need to see the treatment through.

kuniloofdooksa Tue 03-Oct-17 08:32:01

Your child will have a permanent scar from this burn that could fade to being almost imperceptible with the right treatment or could be a more significant disfigurement without further treatment. As pp have said, denying your child this treatment could be bad news in any future court proceedings. However ywnbu to seek ways to get treatment closer to Birmingham.

LIZS Tue 03-Oct-17 08:35:16

There may well be safeguarding concerns regarding the accident and your sudden move. Failure to attend follow up treatment may add to this. Go to your local gp and explain why you need a referral for this to take place locally. Burns to the hand are taken seriously. There may be unseen damage to nerve and muscles which needs ongoing physio as he grows.

Fishface77 Tue 03-Oct-17 08:36:13

Birmingham have a burns unit.
Go to the GP get a letter of referral and move Him.
Ask tebold unit to liaise with GP and new unit.

Fishface77 Tue 03-Oct-17 08:36:34

I read your old thread. Well done for getting away and staying away.

Onemorewonthurt Tue 03-Oct-17 08:44:14

Birmingham to Sheffield is about a 2 hour drive?

Why is a approx. 4hr 30m trip taking up your entire day?

I used to make the same journey and after getting fed up of driving I took the train for about £40 I think, would that be an option?

Onemorewonthurt Tue 03-Oct-17 08:44:17

Birmingham to Sheffield is about a 2 hour drive?

Why is a approx. 4hr 30m trip taking up your entire day?

I used to make the same journey and after getting fed up of driving I took the train for about £40 I think, would that be an option?

MsJolly Tue 03-Oct-17 08:48:26

Birmingham has a fabulous burns unit (used to work there) and more than capable of looking after your son. Ask Sheffield to transfer him down to the Childrens hospital for ongoing care as you've moved.

namechangedagainx Tue 03-Oct-17 08:57:22

Thanks everyone

It's the traffic getting on to the m1 and once I get into Sheffield and when I'm leaving as it will be around the time everyone is finishing work.
Going to go to the gp this morning and see what he says.
Train isn't really an option as that's still £80 a week and then a taxi to and from the hospital.

bettycat81 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:04:54

Do you have a nhs exemption (free prescriptio) card?

You can claim back your travel expenses either by filling in a form at the hospital cashiers desk or online (i think).

Crumbs1 Sat 07-Oct-17 19:09:09

Ask Sheffield to arrange transfer to Birmingham children's or other hospital.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: