Talk

Advanced search

If you were getting into a career now?

(11 Posts)
thedinosaur Wed 20-Sep-17 10:45:18

I'm young and with 2 DCs. I've worked PT before DC2 was born and ATM I'm on mat leave.

I don't have any qualifications apart from some D's in A levels. Never wanted to go to uni (got a couple offers) as I really didn't know what I wanted to do. And I still don't really...

Over the last few years I've just had some basic retail and customer service jobs. Most recent ones being PT.

With DPs job and earning potential I have a choice wether I want to go back to work or not.

I definitely don't want to SAH for too long (going to consider what might be best for DCs too).
But I am in the lucky position that if I wanted to I can go into training/education or try and start working on a career for myself once I'm ready to come off mat leave. I could also just choose to go PT just to contribute towards our finances - it's not going to be a huge contribution but always something.

We are not planning to have anymore DCs and I'm still quite young (24).

But I really don't know what I could do hence coming here for advice.
I don't have any particular skills or qualifications, I can speak another language but there's thousands of people in the UK that can speak it. I'm ok at customer service etc. as that's the type of stuff I've done in the past but apart from that I don't have any experience. And this will sound sad but I also don't have any particular hobbies or passions. But I now have a chance to do something.

So I'd love some advice from you wise mumsnetters. What would you do if you could start from scratch on your careers?

Or would you choose not to and just go PT.
or SAH?

Or would you try and start up your own little business? And what would it be?

thedinosaur Wed 20-Sep-17 14:09:22

Hopeful bump.

lljkk Fri 22-Sep-17 20:06:11

Do you want a career or just a job that gets you out & earn a bit of money?

thedinosaur Fri 22-Sep-17 20:28:09

The issue is that I'm not 100% sure at the moment.

I like the idea of developing a career, working my way up and getting to a decent position and contributing a fair share but I'm worried about not being able to handle the pressure of it all and loosing out on potential family time in the future if I'm having to sacrifice it for the job, especially since I don't have to go FT if I don't want to (unless our situation changes in which case I will do whatever needs to be done).

I also like the idea of finding a low key PT position just to contribute towards the household, keep a good work/life balance and be able to focus on other things we want to do (we usually have a lot of side projects).

I think my main issue is is that I don't see myself on any particular career path, I don't have many skills and I'm not passionate about any particular work industry's, but that might be due to lack of knowledge on them I suppose.

Runningyogabooze Fri 22-Sep-17 20:29:25

advertising. lots of money

ragged Fri 22-Sep-17 20:32:10

Most people don't seem to have a career. Just find something you enjoy that brings in some ££? It's easier to figure out what work you like when you have some current work to compare it with.

KarateKitten Fri 22-Sep-17 20:32:22

Are you joking about advertising? Do you not know the hours involved. You need to be very senior and happy enough to not get home on time to work in advertising.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 22-Sep-17 20:32:51

Have a look at Civil Service apprenticeships. Not sure whether you qualify having done A Levels, but they pay about £18k starting wage, put you through a qualification and have the potential to go on to a career.

Sodaface Fri 22-Sep-17 20:34:54

What do you enjoy?

Working with others
Alone
Travel
Sales
Admin

That will help a bit then go from there.

Lenl Fri 22-Sep-17 20:36:42

I'd do graphic design/illistration/art then go into CG art. Wish I hadn't dropped out of 6th form and then done an access course then degree which led to a pretty guaranteed but ultimately stressful uncompromising job.

In your position I'd browse course ideas and probably do a degree in a subject that really interested me but wasn't necessarily vocational, since financial contribution isn't totally necessary.

Paddybare Fri 22-Sep-17 20:39:10

Where do you live OP? Are you near any major cities?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: