Talk

Advanced search

Renting from family?

(16 Posts)
BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 21-Jun-17 10:03:29

My 4dc, husband and I rent my dms house from her as, she has moved in with my step dad. We've been here 18m and dm has always said we can stay as long as we want and to treat the place as ours. When we moved in it was a mess from the previous tenants, we paid for a skip to remove the crap they'd left, there was glass and dog shite all over the garden. We've redecorated every room, retiled the kitchen, replaced carpets etc. There was even talk of us adding a conservatory!

Yesterday I had a phone call from 3 estate agents requesting to come to do valuations. This was out of the blue. Shortly after I got a text from my mum saying she's decided to sell after all and to expect contact from estate agents. I'm a bit upset because she said it was our home For as long as wanted.

This morning she rang and said that my step dad's brother would consider buying it and we could rent off him but tbh I think we'll probably look for somewhere else. The house isn't perfect, hasn't had proper maintenance for a long time, Windows, has boiler, bathroom, kitchen all need replacing and I doubt dsd brother would do this.

In our position would you say fuck it and move somewhere else, is it ever a good idea to rent from family?
If we find somewhere before the house has sold would it be unreasonable of us to move out even though my mum would have to pay her mortgage? Wwyd?

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 21-Jun-17 10:17:53

*gas boiler not has!

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 21-Jun-17 11:20:45

Bumpsmile

MaitlandGirl Wed 21-Jun-17 11:38:12

We rent from my BIL and we're guaranteed this house for as long as we want it (fibgers crossed nothing changes).

In your situation, as it's not your forever home, I'd be looking at moving now. If the house was perfect for you it would be a harder decision.

Do you have an official lease? If so, check the notice periods to make sure you're not going to have to buy out your lease.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 21-Jun-17 11:44:10

Thanks for your opinion it's good to hear from someone not emotionally involvedsmile
We didn't sign a contract when we moved in but I'd still give a month's notice anyway.

MaitlandGirl Wed 21-Jun-17 11:53:12

What's the housing market like locally? Are things moving quickly?

There is always the risk that the house will sit empty for a bit, but it's easier to sell an empty house than one with tenants.

I think you need to remove the emotional link you have with your landlord. If I owned the house and promised you that you could live there forever, let you pay good money to update the house then arranged for estate agents to value the house without telling you - what would you do?

EssentialHummus Wed 21-Jun-17 11:56:10

She can do what she likes, but VVVU to send people round to value without discussing her intentions. How much are you paying her compared to the market rent? If it's very close I'm not sure what you gain by staying there.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 21-Jun-17 12:06:02

MaitlandGirl houses tend to sell very quickly in this area but I'm not sure how keen a prospective buyer (non buy to let) would be to offer on a house with us still living here. I would've be keen personally.

In answer to your question I'd be pretty pissed off and would probably not be too amenable when it came to viewings tbh blush

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Wed 21-Jun-17 12:08:29

EssentialHummus
Rent is quite reasonable but not massively reduced probably £25-50 less than market rate but she hasn't had to do any maintenance on the property so probably works out about the same overall.

EssentialHummus Wed 21-Jun-17 12:18:59

In that case I'd be minded to start looking around, really.

WrittenandGrown Wed 21-Jun-17 12:58:04

I would start looking round. It's the risk you take renting from family but you have enjoyed a very secure tenancy for a while.

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Fri 23-Jun-17 12:03:22

I'll have a browse or Rightmove to keep an eye on what's about. I have 4 school aged dcs so would need to stay within a reasonable driving distance.

How much prep do I need to do for valuations would you say, massive declutter, and stage so it's photo ready or will just a standard clean and tidy suffice?

MaitlandGirl Sat 24-Jun-17 12:47:04

I'd say just a standard clean and tidy and make sure things like the boiler/hot water tank, kitchen and bathroom are fully accessible.

When we had a valuation done of the last house we rented it took less than 15mins and just involved looking in each room, checking the bathrooms/kitchen for damp and making sure the boiler was ok.

twisterinyogapants Sun 25-Jun-17 20:30:49

I would look for somewhere else quickly and ask her not to send people around when you're still living there.

babybell89 Mon 26-Jun-17 15:08:40

I would be really hurt she should have discussed it with you to ensure you can find an alternative first.
Honestly I would find another place and put your notice in. It isn't your fault it will stand empty just as you guys could potential be given your notice to leave anytime now.

Especially after investing time and work on the place.
Not good at all I would be pissed off x

BBQsAreSooooOverrated Mon 26-Jun-17 16:17:35

Thanks for the replies. Several new properties came onto rightmove to rent over the last few days which are actually in a better location for dcs schools than where we are now so I'm feeling hopeful we'll find somewhere soon.

Valuations have been done so we'll have to see what happens. Dh isn't keen on me showing viewers round, one of my dc has asd and needs pretty much constant supervision. Dc also hates disruptions and changes to routine so I'll have to give say a 2hr window when I know we won't be in and EA can show them round. Hopefully that won't be seen as too obstructive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now