Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Getting Snipped as DP's 40th "Birthday present"

(27 Posts)
Daddyhome Thu 08-Jun-17 22:02:46

I offered DP years ago that I would get snipped after she turned 40 if she wanted me to. I totally get the risk of childbirth and horrors of the pill and want to do my bit, even if it is only a little bit.
So in about 18 months time I expect be tying a ribbon and some balloons to it and getting snipped.
DP is a bit offhanded so I'm not sure if she thinks I am serious or she is just tired as DC3 is 8 weeks- not too encouraging and not great for my HUGE male ego. ;)
So how would you show your DP appreciation for manning up and getting snipped? Kudos for funny responses. smile

ImperialBlether Thu 08-Jun-17 22:06:21

If you've three children, she's 38.5 and doesn't want more, why not do it now?

I think I'd be pissed off that you thought it was a present! I know you're joking (or I hope you are) but she's knackered and doesn't intend having sex with you ever again right now!

Sparklingbrook Thu 08-Jun-17 22:07:24

What a terrible present. sad

NotAUserNumberSoNotATroll Thu 08-Jun-17 22:12:53

She's had 3 children- you getting snipped is you showing her your appreciation!

QueenofEsgaroth Thu 08-Jun-17 22:18:26

Just get it done if you both agree, unless that is you are planning to fit a couple more pregnancies in before hand...imagine if it was twins, or triplets grin

Tinseleverywhere Thu 08-Jun-17 22:20:33

Are you sure she doesn't secretly want more dc?

TheAntiBoop Thu 08-Jun-17 22:20:55

wow - what do you want exactly? a ticker tape parade?

i know you are being lighthearted but your post is ultimately about how women are deemed to be responsible for contraception

Daddyhome Thu 08-Jun-17 22:21:26

Yep, I am joking, I want to get her something nice for her birthday as she really is my DP.
40 is a sensible time to have a serious think on the matter, and not sure if we are calling it a day at the moment. The NHS advice is not to do it after a major life event - like having a baby.

e1y1 Thu 08-Jun-17 22:22:57

Haha!!! A present? (for whom?).

I'd go the whole hog and chop the entire thing off if you offered that as a present.

ImperialBlether Thu 08-Jun-17 22:40:45

Why don't you get married? It's not just a piece of paper, you know.

leighdinglady Thu 08-Jun-17 22:43:22

You seem to think you're doing her a favour by taking responsibility for contraception?

elevenclips Thu 08-Jun-17 22:43:48

confused

ImperialBlether Thu 08-Jun-17 22:51:50

Unbelievable, isn't it, leighdinglady?!

timeisnotaline Thu 08-Jun-17 22:58:01

I'm with e1y1. Women swallow inject implant and insert hormones for years. You are finally shouldering some of the weight. I'd be deeply unimpressed at you calling that a present, lighthearted or no.

WellErrr Thu 08-Jun-17 23:01:57

You seem to think you're doing her a favour by taking responsibility for contraception?

Anyone wondering why men quite often get their arses handed to them on here - it's because they usually post shite like this.

expatinscotland Thu 08-Jun-17 23:02:45

It's not a present. I didn't have to 'show my man' (who is my husband) appreciation for shouldering contraception, he didn't see it as all my job in the first place.

TheAntiBoop Thu 08-Jun-17 23:05:18

well op i hope you're starting to understand why your dp has been offhand about the whole thing - particularly if you keep bringing it up in a 'funny' way. She's just given birth - i don't think she will be worried about you going through the pain of the snip

cloudchasing Thu 08-Jun-17 23:13:03

Now then. I'm always up for the lighthearted threads, I'm not one of those PO people.

This really isn't funny. Deep down you think you're doing her a great favour, and she probably knows that.

Have you actually thought about what she's done medically over the years?

'Manning up' is the very least you can do.

timeisnotaline Fri 09-Jun-17 09:03:01

The very very least. It gets you a place at the table, not a strong and equal position.

AramintaJolly Fri 09-Jun-17 09:07:36

I'd have been FURIOUS had my partner 'given' me this as a present

Do it or don't do it as a mutual decision but not as a present fgs

Diamonds always go down well

MrsJayy Fri 09-Jun-17 09:07:55

No wonder she seems pissed off you are a couple you dont get the snip like it is a massive favour to her on her birthday have a word with yourself and just get it done,

expatinscotland Fri 09-Jun-17 09:13:08

What are you planning on using for the next 18 months plus the time it takes to get the all clear?

TestTubeTeen Fri 09-Jun-17 09:14:48

Has a section of vas deferens replaced a Pandora bead as the 'must have' trophy to wear on your wrist?

OP:

Have a serious mutual conversation about whether your family is complete
Proceed accordingly, depending on your joint decision
Remove any reference to HER age being part of the decision
and
Arrange fantastic 40th birthday celebration and present which is not to do with contraception.

In short: what are you thinking man?

MrsJayy Fri 09-Jun-17 09:17:40

It is only a joke when the other person laughs though did you hear her chuckiling ?

Only1scoop Fri 09-Jun-17 09:18:22

'Has a section of vas deferens replaced a Pandora bead as the 'must have' trophy to wear on your wrist?'grinactually just spat Weetabix

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now