Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Horses on the road

(24 Posts)
confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:16:42

I was driving into a 30mph zone from a national limit as a horse was coming out. I slowed to 20mph when I was about 200m away and moved as far to the left as possible to drive past the horse.
The rider started waving and initially I thought she was signally to the cars behind her to back off.
As I got closer she shouted at me to slow the f**k down.
I'd thought 20mph was acceptable. What speed should I do in the future? I definitely don't want to be the cause of a horse related accident.
Highway Code Guidelines that I can find on google just say drive slowly and give as wide a berth as possible.
What would you do and what should I do in the future?
Any riders perspectives also welcome!

Germgirl Thu 08-Jun-17 17:18:23

You really need to slow down to a crawl to pass horses. They're large and unpredyans can be extremely silly. I always turn off the radio and crawl past at walking pace. 20mph is a bit quick really.

Germgirl Thu 08-Jun-17 17:19:03

Unpredyans?! unpredicatable

scurryfunge Thu 08-Jun-17 17:20:40

You need to practically crawl past them 20mph is way too fast.

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:21:40

Okay will go for 1st gear instead of 2nd next time and slow right down! I've rarely come across horses on the road and don't ride so thought I was okay sad now I'm stewing over "what ifs" but I have learnt my lesson!

TemporalUser5k Thu 08-Jun-17 17:23:09

I go at about 5 miles an hour past them, only just faster than they are going.

Fortheloveofscience Thu 08-Jun-17 17:25:49

On a lot of roads then passing a horse on the other side of the road (not overtaking) at 20mph is acceptable, but if it's not a 'normal' 2 lane road it's too fast. And if a rider's waving, assume it means they need to you slow right down.

Her bad language is unnecessary though.

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:25:51

Crikey I feel terrible now! Thinking about it I do think this is the only time I've ever crossed paths with a horse on the road. But I deserved my shouting at and will definitely keep it in mind if it ever happens again!

Imnotaslimjim Thu 08-Jun-17 17:26:41

20mph really is too fast. My driving instructor taught me to drop into second, brake until I was crawling then let the car pull itself. Doing that you won't be doing more than 10mph and have much less chance of spooking a horse.

Fortheloveofscience Thu 08-Jun-17 17:27:03

Just to make it even more confusing OP, also try to avoid dropping into a low gear so the engine revs grin.

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:27:51

I was just passing not overtaking and it was a wide road, right over to the left. At least I know better having asked and any future on road interactions will hopefully be a bit more pleasant smile

honeysucklejasmine Thu 08-Jun-17 17:30:36

Oh yes, as slow as you can. Our local riding school is on a hill so if I am going down hill when they are out I often put the clutch out as I pass at a crawl and just coast past. (With my foot on the brake, obvs)

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:31:16

The reason I thought she was trying to signal the car being was because they were essentially tailgating. Not bothered about the shouting/swearing because she must have been really stressed trying to ride safely and just feel bad that I've probably made that worse.

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:31:50

*behind!

CowParsleyNettle Thu 08-Jun-17 17:40:44

Thank you for asking and being considerate.

Riding on the road isn fun but is frankly unavoidable due to our rather ropey 'network' of bridleways.

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 17:52:30

CowParsley I completely understand - I've been doing a lot of googling while I've been stewing over all the horrible alternative outcomes and I've read all about the bridlepath problems! Just feeling relieved I didn't spook this particular horse, and "glad" this was the 1st time so I can take all of this advice on for all the horse encounters to come!

Wolfiefan Thu 08-Jun-17 17:56:28

I have known horses kick or sit on motor vehicles.
No loud music.
No revving engines.
Pass wide.
Pass slow.

confuseddottcom Thu 08-Jun-17 18:03:00

Thanks for your input everyone! I was just confused about how slow "slow" is in that particular scenario.
I'm going to hide this thread now because I'm a massive worrier and I won't be able to stop obsessing over what might have happened. (That's an issue for a whole different thread!)
Have a good night everyone smile

littlemissM92 Thu 08-Jun-17 18:05:19

She shouldn't of sworn at your and you were going a little fast some horses and riders wouldn't bat an eyelid at a car going past at 20/30/40mph (they shouldn't but...) I sometimes wave at drivers because my horse is a menace and I can feel him about to be a twat so it's to warm them really

LumelaMme Thu 08-Jun-17 18:09:05

OP, thanks for asking. I ride on the roads sometimes and considerate drivers are much appreciated.

I would pass horses at between 5-10mph, depending on the width of the road.

Polkadotties Thu 08-Jun-17 18:15:03

The British Horse Society are currently running a Dead or Dead Slow campaign www.bhs.org.uk/safety-and-accidents/dead-slow
It advises no more than 15mph

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Thu 08-Jun-17 18:18:06

Yes, as slow and wide as possible and radio turned right down.

VocalCat Thu 08-Jun-17 18:18:11

Agree with PP but also pay attention to the rider. If they know they have a horse that dislikes cars, they may ask you to wait and pass at a more convenient place on the road. No need for a rider to be rude though.

UrsulaPandress Thu 08-Jun-17 18:21:58

Rude riders give us all a bad name.

As slow and wide as possible, as others have said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now