Talk

Advanced search

Move to Doha?!

(9 Posts)
SarahTwin Wed 07-Jun-17 14:18:51

For the last two months we have been planning to move to Doha over the summer for my DH job. It is a good career move and the package is good, good education for our children etc. It is only for two years. With everything going on at the moment in the news would you still go?! Is it too risky? My family think we are crazy to go but in a naive way I fee like wherever you live at the moment there are risks and problems. world politics is not my strong point so any advice welcome- especially from anyone in Doha at the moment and whether they are considering moving back to the uk.

FatCatFaces Wed 07-Jun-17 14:45:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lk265 Wed 07-Jun-17 17:42:35

I would say you will be much safer there than you expected. There are a lot of expatriates. Are there any networks in Doha you can reach out to?

qatarexpat Thu 08-Jun-17 11:50:58

Sarah I can understand why you would be worried but living here it's fine, the opportunities are as you say great and that hasn't changed. The airspace around Qatar can't easily be further restricted as the other members are part of international agreements and food provision has been secured.

If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.

SarahTwin Thu 08-Jun-17 18:14:16

Thanks qatarexpat. I think it's more my family who are saying that we shouldn't put ourselves in a situation that could turn nasty quickly, however, Im of the opinion that we are just as much at risk anywhere in the world right now. I'm secretly hoping that some people leave Doha purely so it can free up some school places!

JoandMax Thu 08-Jun-17 18:21:03

Our day to day lives in Doha are carrying on as normal, it's a very lovely community and everyone is helping and supporting each other.

Unfortunately nowhere is ever going to 100% safe, you just need to weigh up the pros and cons for your family and try and ignore other opinions!

qatarexpat Thu 08-Jun-17 18:25:00

I feel infinitely safer here in Doha than I ever did in the UK, I would happily walk the streets at 2am or leave the car unlocked it's that kind of place.
I have the same reaction from family back in UK now, they just see the news and panic as what is being reported is massively skewed as well which doesn't help. They're opening another 20+ schools for next term and a lot of lay offs are happening at present so there may well be spaces for you!

RedSandYellowSand Thu 08-Jun-17 18:30:26

I'd repost over in "Living Overseas"
There are quite a few of us in the Middle East, and several in Qatar who may be able to comment further.

Auit Thu 08-Jun-17 18:36:02

Here's an expats forum from the area

I'm sure people there would be able to advise you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now