Advanced search

School trip after terror attack?

(18 Posts)
MrsWineasaurus Sun 04-Jun-17 09:14:53

Our DS is due to go on a school trip tomorrow to London Zoo, taking public transport. He's 4yo. There's no way me or DH can go with him.

I'm at my wits end trying to decide whether or not to let him go, wwyd?

elevenclips Sun 04-Jun-17 09:25:23

Personally I wouldn't. He's 4. He'll not even remember it. I'd just phone in and say he is ill. I appreciate people will consider me a spineless liar but I'd need to do that from an anxiety perspective.

Snap8TheCat Sun 04-Jun-17 09:26:32

If they can't go with him presumably they can't take he day off to stay with him either?

seoulsurvivor Sun 04-Jun-17 09:27:56

I would. Of course there's always a possibility of something happening, but if we live in fear and anciety, what kind of life is it?

Spottytop1 Sun 04-Jun-17 09:29:20

The school may reconsider the trip.

I am due to take my class to a large city venue in a few weeks but as part of the risk assessment I have to assess current terrorist incidents on the morning of the trip and discuss with leadership if any recent incidents and the trip will be cancelled if the risk is deemed too high.

BellaGoth Sun 04-Jun-17 09:30:48

Security is likely to be higher than usual no, so theoretical it's the safest time to go.

But I totally understand how you feel, I have a 4 YO DS and I'd keep him at my side 24/7. I know it's silly and I can't do it though, he needs to enjoy his life.

PippaFawcett Sun 04-Jun-17 09:30:53

I would personally wait and see what the school decides and go with that. It is sad that you are in this position.

PlymouthMaid1 Sun 04-Jun-17 09:31:38

No I wouldn't send him. If he were mine I would be so worried all day. I know the statistics say that he would probably be more likely to suffer something horrific at home but I still couldn't send him somewhere as I wouldn't want to take the risk. Take him to a zoo yourself when you get a chance and it feels more comfortable.

ToneDeafHamster Sun 04-Jun-17 09:32:19

No, I wouldn't send him. Not on public transport.

Fortheloveofscience Sun 04-Jun-17 09:33:56

I would let him go. Leaving aside the vanishingly small risk of an attack, in terms of tourist attractions in London the zoo I'd think is among the safest - not massively central and pedestrianised throughout. You're out in the open or under canvas not stuck in an enclosed building. And it won't be massively crowded now half term's over.

Fortheloveofscience Sun 04-Jun-17 09:34:53

And public transport is safer than a coach trip there.

MrsWineasaurus Sun 04-Jun-17 09:35:13

Luckily enough we have very supportive parents that could have him for a few hours whilst we are at work.

It's more the public transport part that bothers me. I can't see anything happening at the Zoo but on the way..maybe?

Gonna speak to DH tonight see what he thinks, I'd personally prefer him to stay but at the same time I don't want him to miss out because of our fears. As people have said can't stop living our lives because of this but it's hard not to.

MssGameandWatch Sun 04-Jun-17 09:36:53

No I wouldn't.

Empireoftheclouds Sun 04-Jun-17 09:39:49

Personally I wouldn't. He's 4. He'll not even remember it.. This attitude to taking young children places always baffles me. He may not remember it when he is an adult but he would enjoy it and learn from it at the time! He may not remember it as an adult but he will feel sad about not being able to go, at the time.

Do our children's potential memories trump their present experiences confused

OP I would absolutely let him go.

TheMonkeyAndThePlywoodViolin Sun 04-Jun-17 09:40:36

I would

SleightOfHand Sun 04-Jun-17 09:52:09

I would.

user1472334322 Sun 04-Jun-17 20:42:10

My son's school and his best friend's school have both cancelled trips to London in light of the Manchester attacks. I'm pleased they have in a way but I'm sad that all that's happening means the kids miss out on trips to an exciting big city. Good luck decidin. Chances are the school will cancel anyway.

MrsWineasaurus Sun 04-Jun-17 21:12:58

Hi girls,

We've decided not to let DS go tomorrow. I know I may seem crazy for choosing for him miss out but I honestly could not forgive myself if something terrible happened.

The letters for this trip was sent out the day after the Manchester attacks so I doubt very much they'll cancel it because of recent events.

Going with gut instinct and keeping him safe and happy at home!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: