Talk

Advanced search

Moving - a fresh start

(3 Posts)
peawe Wed 31-May-17 08:37:37

A live in a medium sized town- the same town I have loved in all my life. I do like it here the facilities are great, sought after location and all GP's are within 20 minutes drive which is perfect for DS and childcare etc
However I am not happy here. I hate that if i to the supermarket I bump into people I went to school with. Or ex boyfriend's, or friends that i have drifted apart from.I tend to just walk with my head down as I just want to be anonymous.
I used to have a friend growing up who was very manipulative and a pretty bad influence- got me smoking, drinking, peer pressures to have sex, trouble with police all when I was alot younger, 15+ years ago ( i was 14-16) but I have worked so hard to be true to myself and work hard, study, uni, lovely DH and great friends.
I've now found out that she lives around the corner and if we stay living where we are my DS and her DD will be in the same year at the same school.I feel like I'm back to being 16 again and I want to move so DS can go to a different school and I can just be DS's mum- not have a history and one I'm not particularly proud of.
However DH refuses to move. Not even 20 minutes down the road. I just don't know what to do. Im starting to resent him. Ive explained how I feel but he says I cant move just because of one person. WWYD?

justkeepswimmingg Wed 31-May-17 10:19:22

I'd want to move too OP. I lived in one small town, and DH lived in another when we met (they were both situated London). We moved further out into Kent together, but it wasn't far enough. I still bumped into people from school etc, and I hated the thought of my DS having to go to school with some of their kids. It was busy, chaotic and too much for us being private people. We've now moved an hour from my home town, and we all couldn't be happier. It's a lovely quiet area. We know no one here, no one is in our business and I feel positive about my DS future at school etc. It's the best thing we ever did as a family.
I think you need to have a serious sit down with your DP, and talk about how unhappy it's making you and that you need a fresh start. I think the typical 'LTB', is a bit much if he doesn't agree, but he needs to know how much you really want to move. Would you go without him? Would you put up with the same town, to be with him? There's a lot of questions you need to ask yourself. If he doesn't want to go then the choice is yours about what you do next, but I really hope it works out for you.

peawe Wed 31-May-17 14:16:26

Thanks so much for your reply. I'm really pleased it has worked out so well for you. It certainly is a huge bone of contention between DH and I- i think that unless we can come to an argreement on a solution it will keep getting bigger still.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now