Talk

Advanced search

Dog bite

(7 Posts)
FireBright Mon 29-May-17 19:59:40

Bit of back ground: my dog can be stroppy! I am seeing a behaviourist with him and am always careful when out with him, he wears a basket muzzle and I know his triggers so am aware of surroundings etc when out walking him.
Someone visited my neighbour yesterday. My dog was outside quite happily minding his own business in our fenced back garden. Me and DP were also outside so he was "supervised".
The visitor came to the fence and put his arm over the fence. My dog bit his hand.
The visitor has been to the hospital and had a tetanus and had it dressed etc.
My neighbours are now being nasty with me.
I'm unsure where to go from here.
The visitor told the hospital what breed of dog it is but wouldn't give the address.
(He's not a "dangerous breed" btw).
The visitors daughter is now saying they should phone the police.
I do not excuse my dogs actions in the slightest and am very sorry that this has happened. That said, I am not going to lock my dog in the house and not let him in my own enclosed back garden.
Can anyone give me some perspective? Wwyd?

villainousbroodmare Mon 29-May-17 20:15:42

I think it was unfortunate and am not surprised that your neighbours are upset. I would hate to live next door to an animal who would attack any bit of a passerby he could get at. Another time it might be a child thoughtlessly retrieving a ball or kite. I would put up a serious fence and a couple of signs. It sounds as if you are really doing your best to deal with your aggressive animal, far more than most people do in similar circumstances, and I hope your behaviourist can achieve something for you, but I'd say it's very unlikely to fundamentally change your dog's nature.
Regarding the injury to your neighbour's visitor, I think you should perhaps consult your solicitor.

wheresthel1ght Tue 30-May-17 11:34:15

I would speak to a solicitor. Morally the visitor was a twat, who the hell shoves their hand over a fence to fuss a dog they don't know?? Imo they got what they deserved. It I have no idea where you stand d from a legal perspective. Q

justkeepswimmingg Wed 31-May-17 10:27:42

The visitor is an idiot. He essentially 'trespassed' into your property, by putting his hand over the boundary between your property and your neighbours. He wasn't invited into your property. Your dog could have felt threatened, and thought the family were at threat and wanted to warn the visitor away. The visitor was being irresponsible, and I wouldn't worry about their threats to report your dog, as they won't get very far. There are different rules for what happens on your property, and what happens in public. If they were to report it would more than likely be a case sent to the RSPCA. I doubt they would respond, but if they did they would check the temperament of your dog, and write the case off.

user1482079332 Wed 31-May-17 22:32:51

Well hopefully the visitors have learned not to go fussing unfamiliar dogs. I'd put up a sign for people that are equally stupid

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Mon 12-Jun-17 11:04:26

Please dont use a Beware of the dog sign. You are admitting your dog is liable to bite!!
Please don't touch / stroke the dog is better!! Even a burglar can sue you for dog bites! These days you are liable for your dog on your property. . Had this with my rotty!! Did some research as neighbour wanted access to our garden whenever she wished and got shitty when we had to padlock her out!!

babybell89 Sun 18-Jun-17 18:09:36

I think the first comment was spot on. Your going to have to invest in some secure higher fencing and some signs up!
You don't want your pride and joy to be seized xxxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now