Talk

Advanced search

How do I approach telling my 5 year old her dad has another family we didn't know about ?

(4 Posts)
Francinex Sun 28-May-17 12:23:18

I'm hoping someone can help me or give me some advise !
I've recently found out my partner of 8 years has another family in Thailand . He works away for a living and I had no idea . Stupid I know !!
Me and my daughter have recently moved out of the home we all shared and into our own place at the moment she has no idea anything Is wrong but it's wrecking me with guilt that I'm hiding all this from her , I just dont want her to feel any pain or upset .
Her father has another little girl with this women he is engaged to and the little girl is 5 like my daughter (exactly 7 days between their birthdays) .
Please help me any advise is hugely appreciated and needed I don't know what to do for the best .

manandbeast Sun 28-May-17 13:16:17

What's the situation with your partner? You say you've moved out, have you split up?

If so I would focus on explaining that to her and supporting her through that. You can simply say that mummy and daddy don't love eachother any more but that you both still love her. That she will live with mummy and see daddy on X and Y days.
About the other family, perhaps you just say matter of fact - you have a sister, she's 5, she lives in another country. I think at 5 she might not question too much. She might have more complicated questions as she gets older.

manandbeast Sun 28-May-17 13:17:06

Try to keep it simple and focussed on the facts rather than emotional.

Francinex Sun 28-May-17 13:20:35

Yes we have split up and he has moved to Thailand .
Yes your probably right , I am most probably overthinking her possible reaction to it all , and what she will understand .
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now