Talk

Advanced search

Feed or not to feed - WWYD?

(6 Posts)
bananapants007 Thu 18-May-17 19:56:18

My DD6 is a big eater. Always has been. She was one of those babies that looked like she might pop smile She's in the 80% for her height and weight, so biggish but in proportion. In actual fact as she grows she's moving very slowly down the percentile. My concern is she asks for food all the time. Tells me she's hungry all the time, even when I think she can't possibly be (10 mins after a slice of toast, banana, glass of water for example.) We talk about listening to our bodies - what else could the message be if we've just eaten, a varied rainbow diet, too much of any one thing being bad for our tummies and teeth etc. I'm petrified (over reaction!) I'll create a food issue by refusing to give her food if she's hungry. She always eats her meals. I'm concerned about her saying she's hungry so often and it doesn't seem ok to give her something to eat every single time she asks. Surely our bodies need a break sometime. She has unrestricted access to the fruit bowl and she is a wide and adventurous eater. WWYD??? Should I be concerned?? Should I be saying no??

AgentOprah Thu 18-May-17 20:04:36

Is she saying it because she's bored?

I'd put veg sticks (carrot, celery etc) in the fridge and let her snack on them rather than unrestricted fruit.

bananapants007 Thu 18-May-17 20:19:51

Yes I do that too, sometimes. She eats it well. It's the constant wanting to eat that concerns me. She doesn't over eat I think - I mean she wouldn't continue to eat in one sitting and not be able to stop. I feel that it must be more mental than physical. I think - I'm hungry - is her go to phrase when she's has nothing else occupying her. We don't do much TV in our house so she sits happily at her toy box doing lots of imaginary play, colouring in, or running about crazy with DD2. And she's at school of course most of the time. Should I say 'No, you've just eaten' ? That doesn't feel right to me either.

ToesInWater Fri 19-May-17 03:19:39

I'd have a chat with your GP just to make sure there is no underlying issue. It's a really tough one as you don't want to turn food into a big deal, but want to make sure she stays healthy.

ToesInWater Fri 19-May-17 03:21:56

Just thought of something else, when I was trying to lose weight I was told that often we think we are hungry when we are thirsty so maybe start by offering her a drink of water.

Squishedstrawberry4 Fri 19-May-17 03:42:49

Give her a class of water and tell her she's thirsty not hungry. A 6 year old shouldn't be snacking directly after meals. If she is sincerely hungry then less fruit and more savoury veg instead. Mine only snack after school finishes and on long walks lasting a few hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now