Talk

Advanced search

Santa's Grotto What would you pay?

(14 Posts)
MrsWhatToDo Wed 17-May-17 16:38:57

Feels like a million years away I know... But...
I have been asked to put together a christmas/grotto event for a local charity. The event would include:

Greeting and help with creating letter to santa
Land Train to the grotto
Entertainment while waiting turn
One on one with Santa (chat, giving him the letter, plus opportunity to take photo)
Small gift from Santa
Land Train back to car park

Total time would about 1 1/2 hours.
Each child brings an adult for free. The question is how much do people consider reasonable for this type of event? The land train costs a lot to hire!
For reference the event is in Essex/London border

Riderontheswarm Wed 17-May-17 16:53:54

I've been on similar. We were on a stream train there and back, about a 30/40 min journey each way. We paid about £12 per child. We have 3 children so £36 altogether. We are in a much cheaper part of the country so maybe £15 per child for where you are. Maybe people with only 1 or 2 kids would pay more per child.
It was a lovely way to take them to see Santa.

Gallavich Wed 17-May-17 16:55:37

£6 for santa and £6 for the train is definitely reasonable

MrsWhatToDo Wed 17-May-17 19:36:33

Thank you Rider and Galla

It's interesting to get an idea. The first price thought was about £10 but we'll only just cover costs with that. So won't raise anything for the charity. I was thinking of raising to £12-£15..
Hoping for some more feedback...

glenthebattleostrich Wed 17-May-17 19:38:53

I think 15 is reasonable for all that.

Don't forget to sell bits like Christmas cookies, reindeer food, mulled wine etc. And make it clear on the ticket that these will be for sale.

MrsWhatToDo Wed 17-May-17 19:53:20

ooh Glen. That's given me more ideas! Thank you

ShelaghTurner Wed 17-May-17 19:53:24

I would pay up to £15 for that. Sounds great.

nicknameofawesome Wed 17-May-17 21:03:50

I think you could charge £15 if parents have no charge.

HairsprayQueen Wed 17-May-17 21:10:37

See when I read it laid out like that £15 seems a really fair price, especially for charity.

However, sounding really cold, when it came down to it I'd likely find a cheaper Santa with less add ons if that makes sense as they just wouldn't be £15 (or £30 by the time they've both done it) worth of into it. But they are less into santa than some of their peers so it's all relative I guess!

MrsWhatToDo Wed 17-May-17 22:09:04

I understand what you mean Hairspray.

The alternative would be to miss out the land train. That's the most expensive bit.. So then it could be cheaper. But without it there's nothing 'extra' special about the event... It's in a forest too, I forgot to mention.

ShelaghTurner Wed 17-May-17 22:43:06

The key thing for me would be how far in advance you can book. I'm less likely to splash out near Christmas as there's so much else to buy, but if I can book things in October or even earlier then it's not so bad.

JoWithABow Wed 17-May-17 22:47:07

Could you not make a walk through with bits and pieces for the children to find/look at instead of the train?
How good a present will it be?
I recon £12, maybe £15 if it included something else like making reindeer food, cookies etc

NotHotDogMum Thu 18-May-17 16:09:03

I'd happily pay £15 for that, it sounds lovely

PatriciaHolm Thu 18-May-17 16:12:33

This gives you an idea of comparable prices for this exact thing around here (Surrey)

www.getsurrey.co.uk/whats-on/family-kids-news/santa-train-rides-cruises-christmas-11879260

Going rate seems to be about 10-15 each, charging for parents too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now