Talk

Advanced search

Shall I pay her extra?

(9 Posts)
nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Wed 17-May-17 15:58:54

One of the mums from school runs a cake business and has offered to make our wedding cake at an incredibly reduced price as our kids are friends. She is a lovely woman and her cakes are amazing (we always get to sample her baking when ds drops round to play.) Shes charged us £160 for a cake she would usually charge no less than £300 for. Would you pay her a little extra as a goodwill gesture? And if so, how much?

HallowedMimic Wed 17-May-17 16:04:11

I think if you pay extra, you will be taking away from her kind gesture. She may regard her offer as a gift to you.

I'd buy her some flowers, chocolates, or something you know she'd like, and thank her in a card.

loveulotslikejellytots Wed 17-May-17 16:04:36

I would. Just because she's doing you a favour. Maybe round it up to £200 and a bottle of wine?

tabithaa Wed 17-May-17 17:29:44

I'd pay more with a thank you card and bottle of wine

imip Wed 17-May-17 17:33:31

Another cake threadgrin

We need pictures!

Neverknowing Wed 17-May-17 17:43:41

I wouldn't pay her extra, my MIL does things like this for friends and It's sort of like a wedding gift honestly? I think she would be upset If someone paid extra but would definitely appreciate some flowers and wine. I think that's a nice way to show gratitude smile

nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Wed 17-May-17 19:25:02

The thing is, I don't actually know her that well. She's from Bulgaria and our son is the only child in the school that sees theirs outside school hours which is why I think she's offered us this as a thank you for including him. There are a lot of little clicks at the school with the mums and she isn't really approached by the other parents. Which is complete madness as they are a lovely family. As someone else said, I don't want to offend her as she's offered to be nice. Maybe card and flowers then to say thanks. Sorry no pics of the cake! I don't collect it until next Wednesday. But she is very good at what she does.

UserShmuser Wed 17-May-17 19:40:20

This happened with my wedding cake. Cost us £100 but should have been at least £300. The lady had made cakes for us in the past as a favour when she was just starting her business and only used to charge for ingredients as she was still learning. Her cakes have always been amazing!

When I asked for the wedding cake I told her how much it should cost and she insisted that I only paid ingredients. I refused to pay the £15 she quoted me. She said it was a gift to me and DH but I told her that nobody else was getting us a present worth £285! She decided that £100 was a fair price when I said £200 to her. I paid the £100 and got her a nice bottle of wine and some cake related things that she could use.

I think you should pay what's been agreed and give her a gift as a thank you.

nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Thu 18-May-17 00:25:28

£15 for a wedding cake, fuck !!!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now