Talk

Advanced search

Shall I pay her extra?

(9 Posts)
nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Wed 17-May-17 15:58:54

One of the mums from school runs a cake business and has offered to make our wedding cake at an incredibly reduced price as our kids are friends. She is a lovely woman and her cakes are amazing (we always get to sample her baking when ds drops round to play.) Shes charged us £160 for a cake she would usually charge no less than £300 for. Would you pay her a little extra as a goodwill gesture? And if so, how much?

HallowedMimic Wed 17-May-17 16:04:11

I think if you pay extra, you will be taking away from her kind gesture. She may regard her offer as a gift to you.

I'd buy her some flowers, chocolates, or something you know she'd like, and thank her in a card.

loveulotslikejellytots Wed 17-May-17 16:04:36

I would. Just because she's doing you a favour. Maybe round it up to £200 and a bottle of wine?

tabithaa Wed 17-May-17 17:29:44

I'd pay more with a thank you card and bottle of wine

imip Wed 17-May-17 17:33:31

Another cake threadgrin

We need pictures!

Neverknowing Wed 17-May-17 17:43:41

I wouldn't pay her extra, my MIL does things like this for friends and It's sort of like a wedding gift honestly? I think she would be upset If someone paid extra but would definitely appreciate some flowers and wine. I think that's a nice way to show gratitude smile

nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Wed 17-May-17 19:25:02

The thing is, I don't actually know her that well. She's from Bulgaria and our son is the only child in the school that sees theirs outside school hours which is why I think she's offered us this as a thank you for including him. There are a lot of little clicks at the school with the mums and she isn't really approached by the other parents. Which is complete madness as they are a lovely family. As someone else said, I don't want to offend her as she's offered to be nice. Maybe card and flowers then to say thanks. Sorry no pics of the cake! I don't collect it until next Wednesday. But she is very good at what she does.

UserShmuser Wed 17-May-17 19:40:20

This happened with my wedding cake. Cost us £100 but should have been at least £300. The lady had made cakes for us in the past as a favour when she was just starting her business and only used to charge for ingredients as she was still learning. Her cakes have always been amazing!

When I asked for the wedding cake I told her how much it should cost and she insisted that I only paid ingredients. I refused to pay the £15 she quoted me. She said it was a gift to me and DH but I told her that nobody else was getting us a present worth £285! She decided that £100 was a fair price when I said £200 to her. I paid the £100 and got her a nice bottle of wine and some cake related things that she could use.

I think you should pay what's been agreed and give her a gift as a thank you.

nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Thu 18-May-17 00:25:28

£15 for a wedding cake, fuck !!!!!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: